Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 Motor hand controller does not seem to work

I have just got an EQ6 mount with motor drives, problem is I cant seem to make the motors turn the mount on the RA or DEC axis.

Also the manual does not explain the side switches.

Handset HEQ5/EQ6 MOTOR DRIVE I have N/OFF/S Switch 2x 8x 16x four buttons DEC up-down and RA left-right and on the side Dec rev & RA rev.

Manual says to just press button for mount to move???

12v DC 5amp psu attached just in case anyone was wondering!

Manual says select N for north hemisphere and press all four direction buttons to track and select slew rate and press direction buttons for manual operation.

Problem is this dont happen!

Can you hear anything from the motors?

Movement is very small and it is easy to think nothing is happening.

What speed did you select?

2x and 4x is not exactly fast and you may not see it, 16x should be noticable.

The next obvious one is are the clutches tightened otherwise the motors go round but are not actually driving the mount.

There was one person who posted about faults they had had with the simple handset so this may be a case of that. Think they had managed to have 3 boxes fail on them.

When I first got my mount (standard heq5) I didn't think it was working. Could hear motors but see no movement.

Not sure how the Eq6 speed compares but even at 16x movement is minimal and unnoticeable with my heq5.

Maybe attach a laser pen or something to pick up on any movement, or a telescope obviously.

Dan

Its moving!!! n even at 16 x its very slow, manual says not to manually manipulate the RA & DEC if using the hand controller if thats the case surely its going to take ages to slew to correct position. Im getting an EQMOD goto controller kit tomorrow. Will that speed things up?

Can you confirm exactly what kit you are getting? It could be that you have bought the full GoTo upgrade kit (about £300.00?) but this is not the same as an EQMod kit, that comes later if you have done the GoTo upgrade first.

I think you are correct I was just getting the EQMOD box of tricks and USB RJ 11 connector. I was told that upgrading the mount to goto was just a case of upgrading the handset? and figured that the EQMOD Cable and software would do the job of the handset. There I go thinking again!

IS there a way of purchasing the GOTO kit minus the handset or do you need the handset as well, bearing in mind I want to use the EQMOD controller?

IS there a way of purchasing the GOTO kit minus the handset or do you need the handset as well, bearing in mind I want to use the EQMOD controller?

Two new stepper motors and the Synscan EQ6 motor control board will cost you @ £226 (available from ModernAstronomy). You will probablay also need to purchase other items to complete the upgrade so the cost difference between buying a complete Synscan upgrade and separate items may not be that much

No the handset does come with the Kit - but you could sell the handset on later - I nearly did that, but to be honest if you fancy a little bit of visual then the handset will come in useful.

I also use the handset if I do some Solar or planetary imaging - I just find it easier.

Ant

I had the same problem yesterday with a new eq5 set up, the clutch needs to be tight up against the gear for it to work, loosen off the clutch screw and push it hard up against the gear wheel then tighten the screw again, see if that works.

Archived