Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn from last night

geoff_k

Planet wobbling like a thing possessed which is not surprising given its latitude for us Northern folk.

Ran through the Barlows and eventually settled on a 3 x with my 250mm Newtonian and cooled ATIK webcam.

Shame in a way as it looked pretty good visually with quite a few moons in attendance. However, what the eye can discern my aging webcam can't so we have to make do with what we have.

I was thinking of all the times in the past when Saturn was at opposition and far better placed than now (except constant clouds prevented me from seeing it). Ain't astronomy wonderful?

post-483-0-22960400-1367327113_thumb.jpg

I can cope with the clouds as there's always something to do indoors - its great transparency and dire seeing that really winds me up. I've wasted many nights recently just hoping the seeing will improve sufficiently to get a couple of runs in.

Tried the RGB alignment and other things but the image is not great to start with.

It is what it is and that's not very much.

Another clear night here but I'm sure I want to try again as the image on screen last night was awful and due to it being so low in the sky you don't have a lot of options.

We shall see.

Geoff

I'd go for it. I don't think the images are that bad really and with 250mm aperture you've got loads of light to play with. I've always taken the attitude that I was prepared to throw away everything I captured as long as I learnt something that meant I could do better next time. Saturn is going to be badly placed for those of us in the UK for the next few years unfortunately. It's just one more challenge.

James

Archived