sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Remind me, why do we do this again?

Sometimes you just have to wonder why the hell we do this crazy "sitting around in the cold and dark"... was down to -5C last night

20071115_ice02.jpg

20071115_ice03.jpg

20071115_ice04.jpg

20071115_ice01.jpg

Then suddenly it all becomes oh so clear when you get images pop out like this... and this was only 3 subs before the fog killed the seeing

ngc2244_20071115_900s.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna be quite honest here, and say that I don't remember a single post on SGL (of ALL the ones I've read) that was quite as good as this one 8) Those pics should all go into a book "Biography of an Astrophotographer" or somesuch...

You're damn right, Steve. Images like that make it all worthwhile.

Andrew

I'm not hijacking but I want to say that I found it challenging doing a time-lapse manually, you just didn't have enough time between shots to get to grips with doing anything else and it just kept getting colder. I got a little glimpse of how manual guiders of old did things.

That was only the second time I`ve had a frost issue since I started Astronomy, but by far the worst. No probs with the laptop, but it was covered most of the time with a cloth to keep it ice free. It didnt clear here until late, so my setup was a late one too, and it took longer than usual to put the gear together because..well, in my garden, I place everything in the same place every time... here, it was all different, and I lost my "flow". I was aiming at 16 x 900s for the final,so I wil return. I just know how much detail there is in there to grab, I just need the clear nights to grab it. Cant believe how much I managed to grab with just 3 subs... just gotta love the WO66 + QHY8 combo...

Hi there - great image - great photos of your gear. Getting that image shows some serious determination. I've had bad dew, but I've never had it freeze on the gear.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Ed

Hi

Sometimes you just have to wonder why the hell we do this crazy "sitting around in the cold and dark"... was down to -5C last night

In answer to this I think you you have given a very acceptable visual answer in that beautiful image of the Rosette nebula, cracking stuff.

Clear skies and cold nights

Gordon

:(

Yeah, I wonder why I do it every time I see one of your images and compare it to my humble efforts. :(

Yet another superb image Steve.

Andy.

Very nice image , Steve.

It must have taken a while defrost yourself :(

The electronics in the Celestron? must be pretty robust.

I noticed my hand controller last night seemed to working slower as the night went one.

John

PS Do you think the carbon tube helps with dew ( frost) control.