Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
SteveL

Remind me, why do we do this again?

Sometimes you just have to wonder why the hell we do this crazy "sitting around in the cold and dark"... was down to -5C last night

20071115_ice02.jpg

20071115_ice03.jpg

20071115_ice04.jpg

20071115_ice01.jpg

Then suddenly it all becomes oh so clear when you get images pop out like this... and this was only 3 subs before the fog killed the seeing

ngc2244_20071115_900s.jpg

Your mouse looks like something out of "Alien"... nice pics, the rosette is beautiful.

Lovely image that Steve , just love that colour , quality work mate , but would be nice to relax in a warm OBS like Centroid and myself ,80 degress plus , Tv and beer , i admire u outdoor type heheheh

Rog

First class imaging :(

:D that looks familiar. Great Rosette. Guess they were 3 quite long subs cos there's plenty of smooth detail in there already.

I've got a warm house Rog :(

I'm gonna be quite honest here, and say that I don't remember a single post on SGL (of ALL the ones I've read) that was quite as good as this one 8) Those pics should all go into a book "Biography of an Astrophotographer" or somesuch...

You're damn right, Steve. Images like that make it all worthwhile.

Andrew

is that the inside of your dew shield :(

Nice image mate!

Is was a little brass monkeys last night - but you had it colder than me. Coldest was -2 here...

Ant

Yes, thats the inside of the dew shield... the outsidewas far worse. And the mouse was stuck to the table!

3 x 900 seconds in quite bad seeing, then it got even worse...

Stunning imahe Steve, all the more impressive for the effort/sssstaying pppppower that went in to it !

Hugh

Lovely Rosette, Steve. It really does get and feel cold out there though doesn't it?

I'm not hijacking but I want to say that I found it challenging doing a time-lapse manually, you just didn't have enough time between shots to get to grips with doing anything else and it just kept getting colder. I got a little glimpse of how manual guiders of old did things.

Update on the processed version

First version (posted above)

ngc2244_20071115_900s.jpg

New version

ngc2244_2_20071115_900s.jpg

I know how you feel Steve, I have to chip the binos off Jamies face on Sunday night. :(

Seriously thought - lovely image, all worth it when you hit that OK botton to merge the RGB channels and see the result.

Super Rosette Steve, unbelievable frost on your gear!

(At least your QHY8 keeps going, my DSLR batteries just gave up after a few subs in the cold last night!)

Cheers

MarkC

Nice result Steve, even if you did have to freeze to get it.

Seeing as the Rossette is East of Orion, it must have been a late night.

I'll wait until it 'rises' a bit earlier. :(

Dave

That was only the second time I`ve had a frost issue since I started Astronomy, but by far the worst. No probs with the laptop, but it was covered most of the time with a cloth to keep it ice free. It didnt clear here until late, so my setup was a late one too, and it took longer than usual to put the gear together because..well, in my garden, I place everything in the same place every time... here, it was all different, and I lost my "flow". I was aiming at 16 x 900s for the final,so I wil return. I just know how much detail there is in there to grab, I just need the clear nights to grab it. Cant believe how much I managed to grab with just 3 subs... just gotta love the WO66 + QHY8 combo...

I admire your tenacity Steve. It is not a pleasant experience in conditions like you were operating in, so all together now.

"Get the Obsy on the drawing board" :(

Ron. :D

Hi there - great image - great photos of your gear. Getting that image shows some serious determination. I've had bad dew, but I've never had it freeze on the gear.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Ed

Hi

Sometimes you just have to wonder why the hell we do this crazy "sitting around in the cold and dark"... was down to -5C last night

In answer to this I think you you have given a very acceptable visual answer in that beautiful image of the Rosette nebula, cracking stuff.

Clear skies and cold nights

Gordon

:(

Yeah, I wonder why I do it every time I see one of your images and compare it to my humble efforts. :(

Yet another superb image Steve.

Andy.

Very nice image , Steve.

It must have taken a while defrost yourself :(

The electronics in the Celestron? must be pretty robust.

I noticed my hand controller last night seemed to working slower as the night went one.

John

PS Do you think the carbon tube helps with dew ( frost) control.