Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Braintree, uk

Jaykay495

Hello all,

i'm taking my first steps into the wide world of astronomy. Have always wanted to learn more about the stars, planets and other deep space objects.

having spent the last ten days or so researching various entry level telescopes, i've decided to go back to basics, and have ordered a pair of celestron 15 x 70's, and a copy of "phillips stargazing with binoculars".

i hope that starting small will make me find my way around the sky better, and will double-check that i'd enjoy a telescope as much as i think i will.

I have quite a lot of light pollution at home, but have friends in normandy who live in an area with no pollution at all, and the skies are astonishing, even with the naked eye. On clear nights, i'll usually spend an hour or so looking around, and watching the sattelites whizz across the sky. We're staying with them in may, so hopefully the binoculars will come in handy.

i'm also a keen photographer, and hope to do some imaging with my nikon d7000 on whatever telescope i end up with. Being a mac user, i've already found a registax type program for when the time arises, or i'll dual boot the mac and use registax.

telescope budget is sub £400 at the moment, but there may still be something out there for me. Will try hard not to get sucked into spending a lot more, but can already see how it'd be easily done!

have already found binocular sky website, but any suggestions re new/used telescope appreciated, as well as other websites that may be of use.

Sgl has already taught me quite a bit in the short time i've been researching, so i look forward to learning as much as i can.

thanks,

Justin

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL

If you have a tripod then you can already do a certain amount of wide field imaging just with the camera and lenses. You're just limited to how long you can make each exposure.

James

Hi Justin welcome to the lounge,

bin's are a great way to learn the night sky, 15x70s are a nice size, you

will be amazed what you will find, try this site it is superb and will help you

http://binocularsky.com/ and it gives you maps to point you in the right

direction, I have learnt a lot from it.

Good luck and Clear Sky's

Thanks for the very warm welcome!

will try to get to a north essex as meet at black notley, one eyed sam. Could nearly walk there from home :grin:

just waiting for the postman now for my binoculars to arrive.

I have a non-af 50mm 1.4 that i'll play with on the nikon (about 70mm) on a dx body. Cant wait to get to normandy in may to see what i can get with the camera and the binos. Hopefully i'll know better about what is where by then.

You just missed one, so the next one will be in 3-4 weeks time. Googling for NAES will give you all the info you need. They do some solar astronomy in the summer months. If you can manage to get along, and the weather is favourable (recent run of bad luck) then you will be able to look at and through a variety of scopes.

You could also look at AstroBuySell.com/uk. For second hand gear...

Hi Justin,

welcome to SGL from the IOW. Sounds like you are already off to a great start with the 15x70 bins, much to consider in getting the first scope and compromises to be made on all designs and budgets - but lots of good advice from some very seasoned/experienced members here when the time comes.

Dead envious of those trips to Normandy - I used to have my own place out there in the sticks for 10 years during the 80s and 90s. There was almost no light pollution and even in the smaller towns and villages all the lights used to go out at night. I also developed quite a taste for the Calvados!

Clear Skies - Jake

Archived