Powermate 2.5x 1.25" or Meade 5000 Telextender 2" ? For ed100

How do all,

I am looking at getting a good image multiplier for my ed100 pro scope and was wondering if there's any benifit in having the Meade 2 inch version 2x telextender over the 2.5x powermate at 1.25" ?

I have the skywatcher 0.85x focal reducer too, if that has any bearing on it.

No decent eyepieces yet, so not limited by that, but will be buying some at the same time.

Would the meade help when using a dslr and the f/reducer?

Both about the same price, only a tenner in it. Any views?

Tah muchly :smiley:

The Meade 2" Tele Extenders are optically very good but they are heavy pieces of kit. For 1.25" eyepieces the Powermate 2.5x is optically slightly better and a lot lighter.

I don't image so I can't comment on that side of things.

I have the 1.25" 2x TeleXtender and the 2.5x PowerMate and both excellent. For DSLR imaging, I think both are fine. A 2" would mainly be of use in combination with 2" EPs that you want to Barlow. However, a heavy 2" EP in a heavy 2" Barlowcan create all kinds of balancing problems. Both visually and in imaging, I find 1.25" is more useful

What type of imaging? Planetary or DSO? I wouldn't use any Barlow when DSO imaging. The x2.5 Powermate will turn a f6 scope into a f15 scope, which is exactly what you don't want. For planetary then it's exactly what you do want.

Would the meade help when using a dslr and the f/reducer?

Why would you use a focal reducer and a Barlow (focal increaser)at the same time???

Also, a 1.25 Barlow will introduce heavy vignetting on a DSLR sensor. OK for planetary as you will only be using the centre of the light beam, but a PITA for DSO.

What type of imaging? Planetary or DSO? I wouldn't use any Barlow when DSO imaging. The x2.5 Powermate will turn a f6 scope into a f15 scope, which is exactly what you don't want. For planetary then it's exactly what you do want.

Why would you use a focal reducer and a Barlow (focal increaser)at the same time???

Also, a 1.25 Barlow will introduce heavy vignetting on a DSLR sensor. OK for planetary as you will only be using the centre of the light beam, but a PITA for DSO.

A Canon APS-C sensor is 22.3 mm x 14.9 mm, giving a diagonal of just over 26mm. This is well within the range of a 1.25" Barlow. I have used my 1.25" powermate in combination with my EOS450D and observed no severe vignetting. For DSOs a powermate is not recommended.

Archived