Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Optics 2" Amici prism

I just got the above item from ABS-UK. The idea is to use it with my APM 80 mm F/6 mainly for terrestrial observations, and possibly wide-field astronomical stuff as well. With its massive FOV I do not use a finder on that scope, so having a correct image makes life easier.

I had a quick test yesterday, and it performs really well. Some 2" Amici prisms only have a 32 mm clear aperture, OK for the 22T4 Nagler, but not for the 31T5. This prism looked like it had at least 40 mm, so I tried the 31T5 and it showed no vignetting at all. A 15.5x80 spotting scope with 5.3 deg FOV is going to freak some birders out :D. Using the 22mm I get a 22x80 with a handsome 3.76 deg FOV is no slouch either. The image quality was stunning. I could see cobwebs at 25 m in intricate detail. Detail in foliage was equally good. The prism is really well made too. I am really pleased with it.

Congratulation on your new diagonal. Is it 45deg or 90deg? You mean the Panzerfaust at the end of your scope will freak some birder out?

Have you tried using it at high magnification, I heard many Amici prism don't work well over 100x. I wanted it get a erecting image prism for terrestrial use but I'm a bit worry about the magnification issue if I had to use it astro.

Green with envy, great purchase :) I am going on holiday later in the year and am considering buying a small, entry level birding scope just to do a little casual bird watching while there to see if that takes my fancy. never done it before. Can't imagine turning up with an APM80 lol!

Was considering something like this for entry level birding scope.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/acuter/acuter-ds-20-60x-80mm-angled.html (not looking to derail your thread, just saying :) )

Cheers guys. It is a 90 deg type. I have not tried it at high mag yet, or on astronomical targets. This particular 80 mm APM is not the one with the Lomo optics, but a type also marketed by TS and Altair. A great deal cheaper than the Lomo, but very good indeed. The Panzerfaust will cause some seriously raised eyebrows, I do not doubt. The prism might even see service in a modification of my 70 mm finder. That would really be awesome.

Green with envy, great purchase :) I am going on holiday later in the year and am considering buying a small, entry level birding scope just to do a little casual bird watching while there to see if that takes my fancy. never done it before. Can't imagine turning up with an APM80 lol!

Was considering something like this for entry level birding scope.

http://www.firstligh...0mm-angled.html (not looking to derail your thread, just saying :) )

I had been looking for that kind of birding scope, but as I could get this prisms for less than half that price, I thought I might as well use the kit I have.

The only thing I have close is a ST120 which is a bit on the large side for birding :/ It was just a whim anyway, i'll probably just end up taking my cheapo 10x50 bins and a collins pocket guide to birds.

the last thing i need right now is to take an interest in a different optical hobby! :D

Archived