Stars_Banner.jpg.843f9de1cf2bdcd4b91ede4312ecf0ca.jpg

More M51 & M13 - First Attempts, brutal criticism welcome ;)

Hi all, finally managed to get a few things that weren't working, working! Given it was a great night last night I attempted to get M51 and was very pleased when (after a while of faffing) I managed it! Despite the freezing temperatures managed to get a good 41 subs (most of which weren't bad), darks and bias too. I've processed it using DSS and photoshop CS5 but since the whole reason I even got as far as I have is thanks to advice in this forum, I thought I'd share and see if I can get your feedback. Let me know what you think and any pointers.

Also added M13 which I managed to get quickly but that was planned beforehand and I think the output reflects this :)

Many thanks!

Will

M51, 27/04/2013

M13, 27/04/2013

Thata a good attempt for sure. They both should good detail and only a decent amount of noise for the amount you got. Both would benefit from for darks and bias and especially flats. For darks and bias I shoot for 1/2 has many lights. M13 would really benefit from flats as there are some ghosts in that photo(unless they are in my phones screen and not your image). Flats would take care of that. Then of course longer subs would help with M51 but if you can do longer then go for a lot more. Like several hours more. You will really see an improvement. The stars seemed a touch out of focus...just a touch....or they are just over saturated. Sorry hard to tell from my phone. But you are definitely on the right track and a great start!

Thata a good attempt for sure. They both should good detail and only a decent amount of noise for the amount you got. Both would benefit from for darks and bias and especially flats. For darks and bias I shoot for 1/2 has many lights. M13 would really benefit from flats as there are some ghosts in that photo(unless they are in my phones screen and not your image). Flats would take care of that. Then of course longer subs would help with M51 but if you can do longer then go for a lot more. Like several hours more. You will really see an improvement. The stars seemed a touch out of focus...just a touch....or they are just over saturated. Sorry hard to tell from my phone. But you are definitely on the right track and a great start!

Thanks nmoushon, with both they had 10 darks and 10 bias (M51 had 41 lights, M13 had 31 - so short of the recommended 50%) but sadly no flats and I think this makes a difference, as you say especially on M13. Definitely agree with the focus, I was trying to focus using Live View on the back of the camera but i think I might invest in a Bahtinov mask. To do longer exposures I'll need to get my Synguider working. I tried for a while but really struggled trying to lock onto a star near M51 so was limited to about 60 seconds each :(

Your M51 image after a little tweek in PS with noise reduction, hope you don't mind:

post-29463-0-13355900-1367169629_thumb.j

MM

Thanks MM, always happy for people to make my pictures look better!

Will

That's a great start Will and one you should be very happy with. As MM has shown processing can make a big difference but I've found that it's the hardest part to learn. Also you have a 41 minute Image. If you can up that to something more like 120 minutes you'll be amazed at the difference. I hope you don't think I'm trying to critisice your work (They really are great starts). I'm just giving a bit of advice. Also, if you search for quartermass' processing tutorials on youtube they are a great help (think his names boodle or something like that on youtube). Keep 'em coming!!

Scott

Edited by auspom

Not at all Scott, its great advice! I wanted to take longer exposures too but I just couldn't get the Synguider to lock onto any nearby stars; everything in the vicinity seemed too faint. That restricted me to 60 second subs and after a couple of hours the cold started to bite ;)

Definitely agreed on the post-processing, the shameful thing is I worked for Adobe for years - I should know PS in a little more detail!

• Like 1

Hey I really hope you don't mind. But just getting into all this waiting for my scope to arrive. Thought I'd try some processing software I have on my mac. This is what I came up with your image.

Cheers,

Scott

post-30311-0-95269700-1367276115_thumb.j

post-30311-0-17681500-1367276124_thumb.j

post-30311-0-20160200-1367276132_thumb.j

• Like 1