SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M45 - Guiding Test

Grant

Had my first ever go at guiding tonight - I brought a qhy5 earlier in the week, I've set it up two nights before tonight and each time, just as I set it up its clouded over!

Tonight I got it all setup and imaging on M45, managed 4 subs of 5 minutes at ISO1600 before it clouded over again! So apologies for the noise in this image, I need to get at least 20 subs at 5 minutes with darks as well but its nice to know I can start getting the longer subs, the longest I'd managed before was around 90 seconds....

2366_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Looking forward to a full nights imaging with the guiding all setup! Silly weather :(

Cheers,

Grant

The guiding is 'spot on' there Grant, which now opens up some real possibilties for your imaging.

You'll be trying to out do Rog now, with his 30 min subs :(

I assume that you were using PHD, a great piece of 'freebie' software, that's just so simple and effective.

Dave

Thanks everyone! :(

It was using PHD, what a fantastic piece of software! Really easy to use, the QHY5 makes it easy to with the ST4 port. After reading the nightmares people have had with guiding, I was relieved that it all seemed to come together, I think the QHY5 is a big part of that - a great bit of kit!

One question though - now I'm guiding, is it still worth doing the pec training?

One question though - now I'm guiding, is it still worth doing the pec training?

That depends on the mount Grant, from what I've read here on the forum, PEC training with EQ mounts, is not a straight forward affair.

With the LX mount, it is very worthwhile doing, as it then leaves the guiding software very little work to do.

Dave

Archived