Narrowband

what a wonderful hobby.

robbieboy

Its been six months since i bought my first telescope and i must say i am hooked on astronomy. Virtually every clear night i get i go armed with my Turn Left At Orion book and a red light and sit looking at the wonders of the universe. Ive come to the conclusion that its not nessersarly the image you are looking at, although many are amazing, but knowing what you are looking at. Looking at light that left a distant galaxy 60 million years ago is quite remarkable. I only wish people i talk to could look up into the sky and see it for what we do, a truly remarkable place. I look forward to spending many more years looking up.

I think we are a rare breed,i look at something like a faint galaxy and think it is amazing,or a feature on a planet which i would sketch and write about.Thats why i observe the skies every opertunity i get,even if it is for a short session,and which i will do until i am no longer able too.

A rare breed indeed, an appreciation of what is out there is what this

hobby is all about, observing the night sky with telescope, binoculars

or just your eyes is very rewarding, it's a never ending learning process,

whatever your personal choice is on the night, it's all about the enjoyment

you get, even when it's cloudy we seek enjoyment learning more here in

the stargazers lounge.

Clear Sky's

I'm two years into my odyssey and I'm loving it. However clouds and clear skies with full moons sometimes cheeses me off. Still though, one good session always picks me up.

Clear skies

Barry

An excellent post. For me reading the science and its history is what transforms the fuzzy blob into a thing of eerie wonder. The science, the astronomers, the scientists and the sky - just out there, existing, being real.

Olly

Not only is it amazing to see these tiny grey smudges yet realise what it is, for me I like to be able to see and test things for myself and it is just a little more confirmation that what I've been told is correct. I can verify for myself that there are planets orbiting with us around one of billions of stars. Iv not quite perfected this explanation yet I know :D

Congratulations on your recent addiction!

Side effects are limited;

Pockets will be emptier.

Less sleep.

Strange looks from neighbours.

intolerance of light, especially at night time.

But I say the highs outweigh the lows. Nothing like being out there in the dead of night under a transparent sky... if you are lucky enough.

Clear skies!

Its been six months since i bought my first telescope and i must say i am hooked on astronomy. Virtually every clear night i get i go armed with my Turn Left At Orion book and a red light and sit looking at the wonders of the universe. Ive come to the conclusion that its not nessersarly the image you are looking at, although many are amazing, but knowing what you are looking at. Looking at light that left a distant galaxy 60 million years ago is quite remarkable. I only wish people i talk to could look up into the sky and see it for what we do, a truly remarkable place. I look forward to spending many more years looking up.

Welcome to SGL :)

Soon it will be every clear night you go out, and probably often nights that aren't clear but still present some breaks in the clouds. enough to poke your eye through!

Certainlyt you are right that the view on it's own without knowledge of what you are looking at can be odd, especially when looking at open clusters or double stars. you could put white dots on black paper and draw the same image. but when you consider the physics at play the the history on display it really becomes wonderful and truly beautiful in its elegance.

Every time I go out I still feel that hook pulling!

Archived