Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My very first image,M51(big thanks to QuaterMass!)

Oily

Well here it is,my very first DSO image,M51.Also it's my very first time using Photoshop CS6,what a minefield of options,lol

Any pointers gratefully received :thumbup:

M51PS_zps7804d79c.jpg

Got to say a big thanks to Mark(Quartermass)for all his help,info,advice,his blog and utube photoshop videos,cheers mate,you've been really helpfull :)

Images captured using BackYardEOS

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great image - any idea why you have the brighter patch?

Urmmm,not sure,think it happened when i tried to 'gradient' the picture,I wanted to use Gradient Exterminator but it doesn't work in CS6 :( so ended up 'adding a little noise'(info I got off the web)

Thanks for the comment :)

Its a great start mate, but it looks like it is stretched a bit far on this screen, but that might be this lappy.Gaz

Cheers Gary,if i have 'stretched' it then it was done accidentally,lol

Wow Oily that looks great. :cool2:

There is no stopping you now. Look forward to more images from you.

Thanks Michael,really looking forward to do doing some more :)

Nice one Olly that's a great shot and this was one of my favorites as well. You asked about dark and flats ect I normally stuck to 80 of every thing main shots darks flats and bias shots and it gave me good results. Its cool watching somebody pick up where I left off your going to really enjoy photographing all those wonderful night sky treasures. The biggest learning curve was the processing of your data but my set of tutorials on my utube channel cover most of it if you need any more help just cask away. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

lol, I mean you noght have pushed the curves a bit far, the core is burnt out, as I said though, it might be this lappy screen. Gaz

More technical lingo to learn,lol

Nice one Olly that's a great shot and this was one of my favorites as well. You asked about dark and flats ect I normally stuck to 80 of every thing main shots darks flats and bias shots and it gave me good results. Its cool watching somebody pick up where I left off your going to really enjoy photographing all those wonderful night sky treasures. The biggest learning curve was the processing of your data but my set of tutorials on my utube channel cover most of it if you need any more help just cask away. :D

Your right Mark,processing the data is going to take some time to learn! Once again many thanks for all your help :)

That's a nice capture! N yes QM is indeed very helpful! He has helped clear many of my doubts! Cheers! :)

Cheers farunj

nice first shot, I wished my first DSO was like that

Same here!

Beginners luck I fear :eek:

Nice image :) Only criticism is as others have said the middles are rather blown out.

Thanks Gina,I might have another go at processing it again to see if I can rectify my mistake

Beginners luck I fear :eek:

Thanks Gina,I might have another go at processing it again to see if I can rectify my mistake

Mate, if you're anything like me you'll tweak and save it... tweak a bit more and save it....tweak save tweak save.........delete and start again. what else are we gonna do when the weather's pants :D

Well here it is,my very first DSO image,M51.Also it's my very first time using Photoshop CS6,what a minefield of options,lol

Any pointers gratefully received :thumbup:

Thats A great start you have captured some nice detail.As for pointers Gradient xterminator does work in cs6 I have it installed in cs6 and use it all the time.Another really helpful tool you can

download is noels astronomy tools reasonably priced and is a great help with processing

Mate, if you're anything like me you'll tweak and save it... tweak a bit more and save it....tweak save tweak save.........delete and start again. what else are we gonna do when the weather's pants :D

You've read my mind auspom!!

Thats A great start you have captured some nice detail.As for pointers Gradient xterminator does work in cs6 I have it installed in cs6 and use it all the time.Another really helpful tool you can

download is noels astronomy tools reasonably priced and is a great help with processing

Cheers Andy,How did you get it to work in CS6?On the download page it says for CS2 to CS4?I've should have mentioned I'm using a Mac ;)

a great start, your image background seems very 'black' which may mean you have clipped some very valuable info, post processing is a huge learning curve its much better than my first attempt!

Cheers Stem,i thought taking the pics was going to be the hardest part,lol

Nice first image Oily (a hell of a lot better than my first which is now locked away at the lowest level of my hard drive...). I can only echo what others have said, it looks like you've clipped things a little and overstretched a little. You need the sky to be a little less black (it's tempting to go for pitch black though) and to stretch a little less so that you don't blow out the core of the galaxies.

I don't know it this will help for you but with each fiddle I make to an image, i.e. a stretch I tend to try and get it just as I like it and then go back and apply the same stretch at about 90% of what I thought was just right. In a fair few cases it's helped my images as when I get them right on my monitor it turns out to not be right on other monitors!

James

Archived