Stars_Banner.jpg.843f9de1cf2bdcd4b91ede4312ecf0ca.jpg

White light Sun using Herschel Wedge

Paxo

First chance to try my recently purchased Baader Ceramic Herschel Wedge with my DMK 21AU04.AS today. Some high wispy clouds and a bit of a light breeze. I used the Baader wedge on my WO Megrez 72 all on the top of a Astrotrac travel system. At prime focus the combination gave about 1/3 full disc. I tried a 2.5x powermate but this wouldn't come to focus, but my cheap Meade 2x did. So, images below are first at prime focus, 4000 images captured using IC capture and stacked in AVStack 2, and secondly with the 2x barlow placed between the Herschel wedge and the DMK.

sun_wide_27-4-13.jpg

sun_close_27-4-13.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Very nice! Did you use any additional filter? Continuum filter?

The wedge has a Baader Solar Continuum Filter pre-installed (along with a 3.0 ND filter) just above the prism. This combination allows a fast frame rate combined with a very short "shutter speed" on the DMK camera allowing a high level of detail to be captured.

Steve

The wedge has a Baader Solar Continuum Filter pre-installed (along with a 3.0 ND filter) just above the prism. This combination allows a fast frame rate combined with a very short "shutter speed" on the DMK camera allowing a high level of detail to be captured.

Steve

So you dont experience that to image gets to dim with a ND 3.0 filter when using a 70mm scope?

//Johan

The intention is to use a larger scope, 110-120mm for example, but there are limits with in-focus using the wedge (it has a large optical path), so this is the only other scope I can use (don't want to use the Pentax 75 as it has an additional flattening lens half way down the tube).

The setup still gives around 1000th of a second exposure, with minimal gain and gamma which allows a lot of the atmospheric seeing problems to be eliminated.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD