Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR shutter release, help

nightfisher

I have an Olympus pen EPL-1 micro four thirds camera, i want to be able to trip the shutter button remotely, and having searched the web, there is no way to do this "aftermarket"

so i am looking at a home brew mechanical device, im thinking a piece of aluminium flat plate fitted to the tripod socket, bent into a L shape, but then what to use for pressing the shutter button, any suggestions? thought about a micro servo rigged to a battery pack and a switch, better might be a tiny solenoid, but never worked with these so have no idea

If you've decided the velcro-on triggers look iffy (and I'd not blame you for thinking that), perhaps a cable-release could still work by pushing on a pad that covers the shutter release button if it were held in a bespoke bracket? For instance, if you had a steel or aluminium bracket shaped like a J on its side which attached using the tripod mount, wrapped around one side of the camera and over the top to the shutter button where there was a mounting point for the cable release? How much fabrication are you up to doing yourself?

James

I have limited facility's but i can fabricate a bracket from 1.5mm flat ali, yes i have wondered about using a cable with a soft pad on the shutter button, thinking about it, may be easy to rig up

I thought it was a strange question, I used to have an EP1 which was the metal predecessor of the EPL1 and I know that had a cable release feature, then I looked up EPL1 and found it doesn't apparently, wonder why they removed it, seems to have annoyed a lot of people back in the day

There was an ep1 which has the same sensor sold on ebay for £30, might be cheaper to buy one of those?

There was an ep1 which has the same sensor sold on ebay for £30, might be cheaper to buy one of those?

Depending on condition, that is perhaps worth consideration. It's a lot less faff than making a decent bracket, though equally there's a good deal of pleasure in making something work when in theory it won't :)

James

James

I have an Olympus pen EPL-1 micro four thirds camera, i want to be able to trip the shutter button remotely, and having searched the web, there is no way to do this "aftermarket"

so i am looking at a home brew mechanical device, im thinking a piece of aluminium flat plate fitted to the tripod socket, bent into a L shape, but then what to use for pressing the shutter button, any suggestions? thought about a micro servo rigged to a battery pack and a switch, better might be a tiny solenoid, but never worked with these so have no idea

is this something like you were after. I have the version for the canon dslr and it is very very good and seems to offer everything you wanted

http://www.amazon.co...sxp_grid_pt_0_2

just realised it is the epl-1 you have. this remote will not work-sorry

is this something like you were after. I have the version for the canon dslr and it is very very good and seems to offer everything you wanted

http://www.amazon.co...sxp_grid_pt_0_2

just realised it is the epl-1 you have. this remote will not work-sorry

I asked pretty much the same question in a different thread yesterday :)

James

I have ordered a generic cable release, might get the velcro band from kaiser and see how it performs, its cheap enough. I only want to trigger the shutter in burst mode, to be able to stack some shots

Archived