Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Someone save my sanity!!

claire1985

Anyone near oldbury/ Birmingham way know how to sort this scope? Not focusing at all, can't seem to line the finder scope up, I think it needs collimating although I've no clue about that sort of stuff. I need someone to come and mess about who has some patience because I have none lol x

Hi Clare , they do take a bit of getting used to. I aligned the finder scope during the day using a distant rooftop. Rough collimation can be done by sighting down the open end from about 6 feet and making sure the rings you see are concentric. That will do till you can star test. Focusing does have a long travel so quite a few turns may be required. Hope you sort it, they are a good scope.

Leon

It will not require collimating so do not consider that as once you move things getting it back correct will be hard work. Do not touch that aspect.

Align it during the day and pick something at least 2 miles away, the 5SE will not focus on anything that is close. Close being less then half a mile. Use the longest focal length eyepiece you have. If you can get one a 30mm or 32mm plossl is good for this.

Take an hour or two to do it

Someone has just mentioned the right angle thingy ( sorry half asleep brain ) she said her scope wouldn't focus without one in, I don't have one as this scope wasn't new when I got it. Does that make a difference?

I've a Mak 127 Claire, mine will focus with or without the diagonal. Dont try collimating it, they are hideously complicated.

As Leon said the focusser turns a long way both ways, its probably just miles out, aim at something very distant and keep turning ...

It will get hard to turn when it reaches the end , then go the other way.

Keep us informed !

Sorry my morning brain is very slow! I'll sit down later when I'm home and have a good old play with the knob :-0

Sorry was that too much? Couldn't resist. Anyway.... I'll have a mess later and get the focusing right and I'll align my finder, my problem is I have zero patience with anything, I find it extremely hard to sit still and like things to just work lol,

I'll let you all know how I get on later x

I'd agree that collimation is unlikely to be required. It's not that scary though it is perhaps more complex than for a newt. I've done it for my 127 Mak after completely rebuilding it. You do need a bucketload of patience.

A diagonal would make life much easier. Keep an eye out for one in the classifieds here and on ebay. They sometimes go for very little money.

James

See if you can borrow a crosshair reticule for an eyepiece( it screws into the bottom of eyepiece where a filter would go) then its simply a case of finding a distant object and centering it in the eyepiece crosshair then doing the same with the finder scope your finder and scope will now be aligned. SCS astro used to sell these but dont know if they still do, i unfortunately sold mine some years ago otherwise id've let you have a loan of it. As others have said the focus travel is quite long with your scope so make sure you have the lowest power eyepiece in( the one with the highest number) it is usually only a small turn between sharp and out of focus so you need to make small adjustments :)

See if you can borrow a crosshair reticule for an eyepiece( it screws into the bottom of eyepiece where a filter would go) then its simply a case of finding a distant object and centering it in the eyepiece crosshair then doing the same with the finder scope your finder and scope will now be aligned. SCS astro used to sell these but dont know if they still do, i unfortunately sold mine some years ago otherwise id've let you have a loan of it. As others have said the focus travel is quite long with your scope so make sure you have the lowest power eyepiece in( the one with the highest number) it is usually only a small turn between sharp and out of focus so you need to make small adjustments :)

I have one :-) id actually forgot about that! X

First time I used my 8SE, I had to move the focusser way more than I expected, even though I had been warned they can be like that. Was really worried for the first few mins!

I find getting the red dot finder and the scope aligned a real pain in the derriere. Hope you get it sorted - those 5" maks are pretty good, I;ve read :).

Claire... you are very courageous to take up astronomy if you have no patience. Respect!

I'm terrible honestly, I like things to work first time and I like things done yesterday not next week, once things work I'm ok though. So take me to a dark site with a working scope I'll gladly be patient all night whilst waiting for the clouds to clear :-p x

Archived