Antique Telescope Broadhurst Clarkson & Co no. 23

Hello I used to love astronomy but i fell away from it but my 3 year old showed a slight interest and it gave me an excuse to get the scope back out and we been having great fun .

So when i saw this scope at a carboot sale i bought it literally just because i liked it and thought it would look good in our man cave but when trying to research the scope i've hit a brick wall so i was hoping someone would know a bit about it or be able to point me in the right direction .

I would just like to be able to give a bit of back story to anyone that asks and tell my son about it when he's older and i would like him to kn

ow so if its worth anything if he doesn't want to display it in his house when i croak he doesn't just give it away or sell it for peanuts because he didn't know.

The lenses are in very good undamaged condition . Around the rim it's engraved No. 23 10in EF the viewfinder has a clear imprint for Broadhurst Clarkson & co

There is wear to all but seems in good condition otherwise and i'm looking into getting the brass cleaned up without damaging the telescope its going to look great in me and the wee mans room but would be even better if i knew a bit about it so as i said any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help,

Jamie

post-30309-0-29717200-1366931798_thumb.j

post-30309-0-77330800-1366931804_thumb.j

post-30309-0-15123500-1366931809_thumb.j

post-30309-0-68033500-1366931816_thumb.j

post-30309-0-12118100-1366931820_thumb.j

I would suggest contacting the company below. They have specialized in older scopes over the years as well as their current bespoke ones and may know something about yours:

http://www.skylightelescopes.co.uk/

Also, at the foot of the web page below is some history of the company now known as Telescope House. They have a link in the past with the company Broadhurst, Clarkson and Co:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/about_us.html

thanks i'll give them a call tomorrow it looks like Broadhurst Clarkson & co is now Telescope House after another manufacturer bought them . So up to now i know its post 1908 as thats when they moved to the Telescope house address

I've not seen one of these before but it seems to be a terrestrial telescope, the two extension tubes will carry the erector system. It could be that it would have some antique collectors value and its sale could fund a modern more suitable astronomical telescope. :smiley:

Archived