SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first view of Saturn through my scope!

I noticed so many threads on this, but wanted to say. I was amazed at the view of Saturn through my scope. I used a 6mm with barlow and had a good view. I believe my location wasn't great at all and the was lots of light pollution, but i was still able to get a picture of it with my camera mount through the telescope.

8679133307_d2a8a9d685_z.jpg

Not a great picture, but im happy with it.

That is a really good first pic of Saturn Ryan! Seeing it for the first time is truly amazing isn't it? There will be lots more 'first times' for you and it only gets better!

If light pollution is a problem, try a LP filter and a dew shield which also helps to block out extraneous light and improve contrast.

Clear skies.

Very good picture in deed...

I got my 114mm scope 2 days back, and since trying to focus on Saturn. Unfortunately, unable to do so yet... The image vibrates ti such extent that i cant see the single point even with 10mm eyepiece.

I do the scope balancing well. Can you suggest how to keep the scope steady?

That is a really good first pic of Saturn Ryan! Seeing it for the first time is truly amazing isn't it? There will be lots more 'first times' for you and it only gets better!

If light pollution is a problem, try a LP filter and a dew shield which also helps to block out extraneous light and improve contrast.

Clear skies.

Thank you all. I saw about a LP filter before and I might get one soon. I have seen Saturn once before on a friends scope, but it was very small and hard to pull any details. Last night was my first time on my scope and had a bigger image, but not much better quality, probably because of bad seeing and LP as stated before.

Very good picture in deed...

I got my 114mm scope 2 days back, and since trying to focus on Saturn. Unfortunately, unable to do so yet... The image vibrates ti such extent that i cant see the single point even with 10mm eyepiece.

I do the scope balancing well. Can you suggest how to keep the scope steady?

What kind of mount do you have? It is tough for me to keep the scope steady on my CG-3 mount. I want to move up to atleast the CG-5, but don't know when i will. It was hard, you have to focus a lil, then let the scope steady multiple times in order to try to get a focus out of a flimsy scope. The only reason my picture seems like it was somewhat still is because i have it on a 10 second remote shutter, that gave the scope time to stop wobbling before the picture was taken. I believe i used a 13mm or 17mm and was able to see Saturn, but not much detail, but could easily see the rings around it, maybe try giving a little bit of a wider field a try.

Clear skies.

I'm new to all this, but I understood LP filters were only useful for viewing reflected light from nebulas? Have I got this wrong...probably, knowing me

Sorry....I meant....... in.......experienced .......blimey. The images I have also seem to 'dance around'. I've researched this and it would seem the best way is to use a webcam.......then process it in Registax. Going to try this.

I think everyone on here will remember the first time they saw Saturn.

Oh yes! :)

I certainly do. First night out with my 50mm frac as a boy. Stumbled across it. Wow!

I've observed it so many times since, and with many different scopes, but none have been as good as that first shakey view through that tiny scope.

I am now thinking of taking my scope to the west side of my apartment complex so i can get a view of Jupiter before it goes below the Horizon, then im going to look at saturn again tonight, and show my girlfriend it.

I'm new to all this, but I understood LP filters were only useful for viewing reflected light from nebulas? Have I got this wrong...probably, knowing me

A light pollution (LP) filter should help to cut out that 'orange glow' that you see over towns and cities. It will help improve contrast in your images. A dew shield will also help to improve contrast, as well as keeping dew off of your primary.

UHC and OIII filters are widely used to improve the views of nebulae. You can also stack filters. Some members have posted that they get better results with an LP filter stacked with a UHC or OIII filter on nebulae.

Thank you all. I saw about a LP filter before and I might get one soon. I have seen Saturn once before on a friends scope, but it was very small and hard to pull any details. Last night was my first time on my scope and had a bigger image, but not much better quality, probably because of bad seeing and LP as stated before.

What kind of mount do you have? It is tough for me to keep the scope steady on my CG-3 mount. I want to move up to atleast the CG-5, but don't know when i will. It was hard, you have to focus a lil, then let the scope steady multiple times in order to try to get a focus out of a flimsy scope. The only reason my picture seems like it was somewhat still is because i have it on a 10 second remote shutter, that gave the scope time to stop wobbling before the picture was taken. I believe i used a 13mm or 17mm and was able to see Saturn, but not much detail, but could easily see the rings around it, maybe try giving a little bit of a wider field a try.

I saw the Saturn yesterday night. The main issue was the vibrations the tripod was sensing as I was on the terrace of the 7 storied building. After using vibration dampener the view was much clear. I could locate titan and one ore moon of the Saturn as well. But couldn't saw Cassini division by any combination of eyepiece and barlow.I have EQ2 mount and a beginner's 114 mm reflector.

Was lovely tonight. High enough to get a good view.

Steady and clear most of the time at 120x in a Delos 4.5mm.

Cassini division, Titan, shadows clearly visible.

Bright, freezing grandeur.

Was lovely tonight. High enough to get a good view.

Steady and clear most of the time at 120x in a Delos 4.5mm.

Cassini division, Titan, shadows clearly visible.

Bright, freezing grandeur.

It was cloudy here. Again......

My first sight of Saturn too last night (27th April) and I too thought it amazing through my 9mm. Never thought to try my Barlow - and wouldn't expect a clear result if I did! Shuddering was a problem for me too on my goto mount - but I think I got the clearest I could. Not able to take a photo though - so I envy those of you who can. I wasn't put off by light pollution or the street lamp right by me - still thought the sight wonderful.

Isn’t it just fantastic, I must admit i tried and failed with a photo, :mad:

But last night was also my first view of Saturn thru a telescope!! :p

I have seen it with my 20x80 binoculars many times before but the view last night with my 200dob was breathtaking

it was so clear and crisp, it makes up for the poor nights we have had,

It’s a joy that unless you experience it for yourself is hard to explain,

I just sat there from 11.30 till 1.30 in rapture saying over and over again this is so great.

Goodness knows what the neighbours thought... :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

gra

Just had my first view of saturn ever tonight as well - absolutely stunning. Only let-down was the clouds moved in 15 minutes after i found it lol.

Used a 6mm of (not sure what the of is though) with a 2.5x barlow.

Didn't have time to get the dob onto it but thats gonna be my next aim :)

Definitely have the bug now lol

Archived