SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Fingerprint on secondary mirror

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used baader wonder fluid & the accompanying micro fibre cloth after some consideration despite there being varying advice for it, some seem to use it for the secondary mirror but recommend not using it for the primary. but I think I got rid of the fingerprint completely now. :)

I used baader wonder fluid & the accompanying micro fibre cloth after some consideration despite there being varying advice for it, some seem to use it for the secondary mirror but recommend not using it for the primary. but I think I got rid of the fingerprint completely now. :)

Nice one. I try not to fuss over a bit of dust, but don't like fingerprints on optical surfaces. I too have used a microfibre cloth, plus alcohol, to sort a similar prob.

Works ok, as long as you are super careful.

Looking at the times of your posts, you have been up all night, probably due to it not getting dark at your northerly location :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

Looking at the times of your posts, you have been up all night, probably due to it not getting dark at your northerly location :smiley:

Ah yes, it doesn't get dark at all! Sun was only 4 degrees below the horizon on the summer solstice.

I was staying up as I often do during my summer vacation, watching Carl Sagan's Cosmos series. :)

This is the technique I use :

You can get a bottle of distilled water at any garage for a squid or two. Don't use Baader Wonder fluid - that's for glass lenses only and the instructions advise against using on mirrors. Fairly Liquid is the cleaning agent of choice. Hth :)

Archived