SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Synscan Controller V2 and V3 Autopsy

SnakeyJ

My Skywatcher HEQ5 came with the older V2 handset and runs Ver 2.05 of the Synscan Firmware - despite this aged version, it functions perfectly albeit without the ability to upgrade the firmware and some of the advantages of the newer V3 (PAE, Backlash Compensation and GPS support).

Beside this the units looks superficially identical and there seems to be little information to compare and consider the under the hood differences. So what follows is a quick side by side comparison, with lots of pictures.

On display are ; left - fully working V2 (ver 2.05) handset and right - a defunct V3 (ver n/k) handset that I'm hoping to resurrect.

med_gallery_26731_2542_1088427.jpg

From the front view the units are identical, other than the different coloured Synscan logos, there are no differences between key layouts or connection ports or the backlit LCD displays.

med_gallery_26731_2542_1005321.jpg

The units are also indentical from the rear view (other than stickers and velcro). There are 4 x No1 recessed cross point screws which are removed to gain access.

med_gallery_26731_2542_1338031.jpg

Closer comparison of the two PCBs (Rear View). Here you will notice the changes in layout and updated components on the V3 handset - Although there is commonality of many of the board components, the processor, flash and RAM memory ICs are updated..

gallery_26731_2542_1543746.jpg

Fully exploded view of both Handsets (showing front view/ekypads of PCB): Other than the PCB differences there is full comonality of parts between these handsets.

gallery_26731_2542_216400.jpg

Close up comparison of front PCBs

gallery_26731_2542_819845.jpg

The V3 circuit board design shows significant design simplification corresponding with the layout changes to the rear of the board.

There are some closer images of the PCBs in my gallery

Both units were re-assembled and some minor soldering done to re-attach the LCD backlight on the V3 handset. V2 handset now working with less sticky keypad membrane and the V3 handset is still stubbornly refusing to give any sign of life, though a quick check with my multimeter revealed useful voltages at key points - seems likely that the main logic is dead!

Hope this is of use for future reference ;)

• Like 3

Just by way of update - closer examination of the V3 handset revealed:

The backlight connections had been broken (presumably a previous repair attempt). These were easilly re-soldered and the backlight functions correctly with + 3VDC.

LCD faulty. No obvious damage or leaks on this, so may be a faulty ribbon cable/connection.

Though the board does not boot, I can get 12v, 5v pwr from the board - however, 3V does not seem to function correctly. With the board powered I see around .8V across J5 - though if check this jumper for resistance I'm detecting a short. A couple of attempts have been made to solder at this jumper and there is some minor heat damage, but no obvious short circuit here - so it seems likely the short is a component failure further back on the board.

I will attempt to trace the tracks back tonight (as I need my desktop magnifier for this job). Chances of success looking slim at the moment!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Very useful post, thanks. My V2 Synscan controller has given up and it seems to be the LCD: the controller functions but will not display anything so it's pretty useless at the moment. Rather than forking out 3 figures for a new controller, I was wondering if you managed to source a compatible replacement LCD for your V3 and if so, where from?

--- Alistair

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

hi,

same problem for me,with my V3 Hand Controller...  it runs, but screen out.  :o(   

I'm always looking for a solutionspare screen. 

I know this product that i ordered DOES NOT MATCH :

https://www.tme.eu/fr/details/dem16210sgh/afficheurs-lcd-alphanumeriques/display-elektronik/dem-16210-sgh/

thanks if someone has a solution.

Bruno, France.