Looking for a 4th EP

Jordan2013

I am looking for a 4th EP i currently had a Baader 8mm with 28mm ft ring makes it a 5mm. A Meade 56mm Revelation 42mm. and on the look out for a another, and just dont know what to get I have a limit of about £180 ish and i do prefer 2" EP's. so what would you guys recommend ?

You seem to have a large gap in your collection - from around 25mm to 12mm I'd say. Hyperions work well with your scope as you know so maybe the 13mm and 24mm from that range ?. I know they are not 2" eyepieces but it seemed to make sense to me !

Do you really use your Intes MK66 on an EQ1 mount ?. If so, it must be as wobbly as anything at high power or with the 55mm Meade in the scope, I'd have thought.

You seem to have a large gap in your collection - from around 25mm to 12mm I'd say. Hyperions work well with your scope as you know so maybe the 13mm and 24mm from that range ?. I know they are not 2" eyepieces but it seemed to make sense to me !

Do you really use your Intes MK66 on an EQ1 mount ?. If so, it must be as wobbly as anything at high power or with the 55mm Meade in the scope, I'd have thought.

I do right now and its surprisingly not that wobbly. only takes literally 1 and a half seconds to calm down at near 400 mag, borrowed a Barlow and had it at 720x on the moon it was just fine. And the Badder HP's are 2" and 1.25" eps in one that's why i have one :)

The Hyperions are 1.25" eyepieces with a 2" section of barrel. You can unscrew the lower 1.25" barrel (not with the 24mm) and the eyepiece becomes a 22mm-ish eyepiece but it's not that great to be honest.

Having used an EQ1 mount I'm frankly amazed that you find it steady with such a scope at those magnifications - the one I used could barely hold a 70mm refractor steady at 100x !. I wonder if we are talking about the same mount ?

Back on eyepieces, most will work well with your scope so have a look at whats around in the focal lengths suggested. Unless you decide you want ultra wide fields of view, 1.25" ones will do the job really well.

The Hyperions are 1.25" eyepieces with a 2" section of barrel. You can unscrew the lower 1.25" barrel (not with the 24mm) and the eyepiece becomes a 22mm-ish eyepiece but it's not that great to be honest.

Having used an EQ1 mount I'm frankly amazed that you find it steady with such a scope at those magnifications - the one I used could barely hold a 70mm refractor steady at 100x !. I wonder if we are talking about the same mount ?

Back on eyepieces, most will work well with your scope so have a look at whats around in the focal lengths suggested. Unless you decide you want ultra wide fields of view, 1.25" ones will do the job really well.

only 1 eq1 mount i know of. And im looking at some explore scientific stuff right now little pricey but they seem good and some Celestron stuff to .

How about the ES 18mm, 82o FOV? It's 2" too!.

Cheers

How about the ES 18mm, 82o FOV? It's 2" too!.

Cheers

funnily enough i was just looking at it and £175 is not a bad price. But i have never used any of there stuff before. Like to have a good old look before i take the plunge :D

The William Optics UWAN 16mm might be worth thinking about too. The Skywatcher Nirvana is the same eyepiece but a little less expensive. These are 82 degree eyepieces as well (thought 1.25" fitting) and will give very close to Tele Vue Nagler performance with your scope, as will the ES 82's to be fair.

The eye relief (distance your eye needs to be from the top lens) is a bit shorter with these 82 degree eyepieces than it is with the Hyperions. Just so you know :smiley:

The William Optics UWAN 16mm might be worth thinking about too. The Skywatcher Nirvana is the same eyepiece but a little less expensive. These are 82 degree eyepieces as well (thought 1.25" fitting) and will give very close to Tele Vue Nagler performance with your scope, as will the ES 82's to be fair.

The eye relief (distance your eye needs to be from the top lens) is a bit shorter with these 82 degree eyepieces than it is with the Hyperions. Just so you know :smiley:

used a few naglers amd ethos's before and if i could afford a few id get them but my pockets are no longer that deep with a new baby :p

Archived