hutech orthos

faulksy

hi guys, im sure a lot of us have had the email from flo about the new orthos have arrived :grin: but looking on there site there picture has changed, previously they looked just like the bgo,s with the green banding now theres no green, are theses different ones ? cheers :confused:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, these previous ones were 'guesses' or mock ups. The ones on there now are the actual ones. Ultimately it's just branding the object is identical. The 'Or. XXmm' looks engraved and the rest of the brand look lazer printed. Will wait for John's imminent (clear sky dependant more like) review :) I just picked up a 6mm BGO new anyway so I'm now a little less eager to buy more Orthos at the moment as I have one in the range I was looking for. I'd like a 4mm & 5mm Ortho but I think the HuTechs are only 5mm. On this basis I may just wait for a TV 3-6 zoom to appear on SH.

I'd love to see how the HuTechs compare to a 3-6 zoom but I dont think John has one at the moment.

I found the the 5mm BGO pretty uncomfortable Alan, so I won't be jumping on a 4mm anytime soon. I have to admit I'm tempted by the 6 & 7mm but in my heart of hearts I know I'd only end up selling them again. Besides, my XW's provide me with 70° of orthoscopic nirvana :-)

The XWs are king, surely? I wouldnt bother with an Ortho if I had XWs in my box. The difference might be slightly better on a high end ortho but do you really care? It's so close only someone who cares about air currents coming off of a passing mosquito might care enough.

The thing I do like about the BGO, I must say, is on the moon the narrow FOV helps me focus my attention as my periphial vision is blinkered. There is a noticable step between the 6mm and 4.7mm ES 82 in my dob though (200x to 255x). The BGO shows crisp views and absolutely lovely colour and the ES shows that 'flying over the moon' view. I wouldn't mind the BGO clarity and FOV at the magnfication of the ES though. I'm thinking a 3-6 nagler zoom would really suit what I'm after to be honest.

I just have to stop myself buying one before I save up the money for my scope upgade, at this rate ill never get there..

The widescreen centre has them listed and showing out of stock. some pictures there though.

saying that though I was in there the other day and found some BGOs they thought they had listed, but clearly didn't. Someone should call them and ask if they have any of these in a drawer somewhere!

It's so close only someone who cares about air currents coming off of a passing mosquito might care enough.

In my case its air currents coming off passing bats, seriously!

There is an old unused graveyard with the remains of a church about 200 yards from my house. The church roof is full of them and from about next month on the little critters will be buzzing me just for fun!

My 4mm the eyerelief it going to be tight on that one. Do you think most could use it? I know Pentax do a XO 2.5mm but I don't think this is a real Orthoscopic design, it is just a very very good short eyepiece.

Alan

Pentax XO are real orthoscopics, just not Abbe orthoscopic. Actually, due to its unconventional design, the 2.5XO have longer eye relief than 5XO and 5BGO.

EDIT:Did anyone notice the 18 HO is shorter than the 12.5 HO, while 18BGO is longer than 12.5BGO

hutech2s.jpg?w=300&h=219

edit2: 6HO is also smaller than 5HO. How odd

...The XWs are king, surely? I wouldnt bother with an Ortho if I had XWs in my box. The difference might be slightly better on a high end ortho but do you really care? It's so close only someone who cares about air currents coming off of a passing mosquito might care enough.....

It's a good point and relevant to me as I have invested in the Pentax XW 5mm and 3.5mm. The only quantitative performance difference I've seen between the BGO and the XW is splitting Sirius where the BGO just made it that wee bit easier to spot "the Pup" by controlling the glare from Sirius A just that little bit better. And I have compared these darn things quite a lot over the past months !

In all other respects the XW's perform like a 70 degree BGO with 20mm of eye relief :smiley:

Which must be beautiful. I must say the view in the BGO, certainly on the moon is lovely. The colour fidelity, sharpness and contast are exceptional. If that's what XWs are like then I might have to have a think for later.

XW and Delos give pretty much the same sort of views dont they? I had thought about getting Delos after the scope upgrade.

I held one the other day in WSC. I was simply amazed by the size of the eye glass size. I got the guy to get 3 out as I thought it was a one off but it seems it was a feature across the range. Really love a huge eye glass portal to look into.

.... previously they looked just like the bgo,s with the green banding now theres no green, are theses different ones ? cheers :confused:

Officially the Hutech orthoscopics are different eyepieces but I think we all know they almost certainly come from the same stable as the now discontinued Baader Genuine Orthoscopics. I think the green band was/is a Baader trademark so cannot be used on other versions.

HTH,

Steve :smiley:

I have a 5mm Pentax XW coming to me next week, I was holding off the need to have a 3.5mm as I couldn't make my mind up. Was it to be another Delos or a XW 3.5mm, FLO didn't have one when I asked so that sort of made it easier to decide. I know there is a great deal of talk at the moment on site about Orthoscopics and righly so, new ranges are upon us. Last night I had the 7mm Nagler in the Powermate which gives me about X230 and all the time I was wondering is the difference going to be 250 quids worth, it was not far behind the 8mm Ethos in the same.

BTW, Damo, send me some bats, I get bitten by everything as summer is coming. I spray fly spray around about 5 mins before observing and for the most part that works but there is always one brave one that gets through to sink his teeth.

Alan.

My 4mm the eyerelief it going to be tight on that one. Do you think most could use it? I know Pentax do a XO 2.5mm but I don't think this is a real Orthoscopic design, it is just a very very good short eyepiece.

Alan

Is is a real orthoscopic design, in terms of lack of distortion, it is just not an Abbe orthoscopic design.

Archived