Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL members meet at AstroFest 8th & 9th Feb 2008 ?????

jcm

I am really disappointed, was going through dates for the coming year over Christmas and Astro Fest falls on my girlfriends brothers wedding, I'm down for catering duty and videoing the event so not going to be able to make any of Astro Fest :D

Was really looking forward to putting faces to names and catching up with the faces I should already remember! Hopefully see a lot of you at Kelling Spring and Autumn and SGL4!!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, do these trade stands actually have any bargains or are the prices the same as the internet in which case I won't bother and save the trainfare.

Many retailers/importers don't discount their kit very much, if at all. However, there are some real bargains to be had if you get there early and look hard. For instance, in the last two visits I have bought:

Several books at between 10% and 25% off the normal price

Orion accufocusser £22

Televue 32mm Plossl £65

Antares 7mm orthoscopic £15

Telescope House 7mm orthoscopic £5

If you're prepared to put up with all expense, hassle, jostling and poor facilities, there are some real bargains to be had at Astrofest and many of the talks are excellent. It's just that I can't be arsed to put up with the hassle.

I've got a ticket for the Saturday afternoon 4 session too.

I think we ought to organise a drink meet and a meal meet that people can opt in/out of easily.

Something like http://www.newculturerevolution.co.uk/ perhaps? Not as good as chinese restaurants in

Queensway, but they are a good walk away while this one is 5 mins from the Astro venue.

Probably good for soup and noodles or chicken/duck and rice for lunch before the lectures.

Anyone got another suggestion nearby (this is the first i thought of)? Anyone know a cosy pub for a drink after lectures are over? Or perhaps people want drink then eat after?

AG

Got my Session 4 Ticket in the post this morning. Now, everything is in place. Rail Tickets, Hotel Booked, Session Ticket.

All I need now is a Bl***y Rail Strike, and the it all falls apart. Not that I am a despond mind you. :D

Ron.

well i have been twice ,and can say thats how it was , and has never improved ,Ron , pop on the train and come see me heheheh i,m only 30 mins train ride from fenchurch street,

Rog :rolleyes:

I would liked to have popped down to see you Rog, but I think now I am only going on the Saturday, I will be short on spare time.

However, if you can extend your invitation to my annual August trip to London, I would be delighted to come down to Bas :nono: Langdon Hills :D and meet you. That will of course depend on how your own holiday plans work out. You may well be on holiday yourself. I hope not :rolleyes:

Cheers Rog.

Ron. :clouds2:

I.m on holiday the August Bank Holiday Week Ron , is that ok for you ,

Rog :rolleyes:

Our dates are such, that I will have to be back home before August 14th. Rog., so things are looking good for a visit to Dome HQ. :D

So, that's another exciting event I have to look forward to. :rolleyes:

Ron.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Astrofest is next Friday/Saturday.

In a different thread the suggestion was to meet up at the start of lunch - 12.50 ish ( outside the venue) - get something to eat - afternoon session (4)starts at 2.25pm. I will be there on the Saturday.

John

I plan to go on Friday, so it would be good to meet and rub noses with anyone from the forum.

Going up with a friend of mine who is seeking bits to refurbish an old scope. Went for the first time last year and it was a bit like being a kid in a sweet shop. Hope to take a more considered look around this year.

If you bump into me do say hello. I promise not to be wearing my shorts but I can't give you a lift back in the helicopter.

Geoff

I'll be there on Friday and Saturday, helping out a bit with TH (to return with gratitude.. a major favour), and then on Saturday with Artemis/Atik. Have meetings set up with Springer (that should be a whole heap of fun...), and a few other companies/people.

Will be wandering around as well, most likely with a battered Yamaha Pro Audio bag over my shoulder...bleary eyed no dount due to my 2 year old waking up at some ungodly hour to have me read "In the Night Garden" or something similar.

Sticky Fingers (Bill Wymans pub/eatery) is 5 mins from the place, and they do some nice drinks and bar food..

Archived