Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL members meet at AstroFest 8th & 9th Feb 2008 ?????

jcm

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Well guys, I have actually bought my rail tickets to London for the February Starfest. I will book my Hotel tomorrow.

I was going to cover the two days, but I have decided I will travel down on on the Friday Morning, but just take in the Saturday at the event. Travel back home on the Sunday. Having a railcard, and booking the train this early, saved a fair bit of money.

My first visit to this event, and I am looking forward to it, and meeting up with any SGL guys who are there too.

Ron. :rolleyes:

Yes Daz, I will settle for the session 4 talks too. SPM himself and David Levy and the two lady speakers make for an interesting afternoon.

I know there is the fee for the session, but do you know what the entrance to the whole event fee is?

Ron. :rolleyes:

Yep , booked for session 4 Saturday via the internet. Should get the ticket soon.

John

Just finished doing the same thing. One thing about the internet, It makes it damned easy to spend money, in this case I don't mind though. :rolleyes:

Ron. :lol:

Yes Daz, I will settle for the session 4 talks too. SPM himself and David Levy and the two lady speakers make for an interesting afternoon.

I know there is the fee for the session, but do you know what the entrance to the whole event fee is?

Ron. :lol:

David Levy as in the Spurs chairman? I've got a couple of questions for him.... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just booked for session 4, looks like this could be quite popular :D....

Tony..

I don't think he would dare turn up at a public event Tony. He can't be feeling too bad after 5 goals in one match.

That's it now. Got the Rail Tickets, booked for session 4, and got the hotel booked. Just the countdown now.

Ron.

I'm certainly not feeling too bad after showing Fulham how to play :rolleyes:. As it goes, Mr. Levy isn't as bad as our previous chair, a certain Mr. Sugar so I wouldn't have a go at him (too much).

Anyhoo, so Saturday looks like it's probably the favourite day for most people. Does anyone fancy meeting up early(ish) for perhaps a bit of brekkie before we enter the maddening throng?

Tony..

Driving? :shock: :shock: :shock: My wife drives into Central London every night to work and our car is Congestion Charge exempt and I'm still taking the train. Partly for the outside chance of a pint but mainly because driving in London is something I'd rather not do!!

Tony..

Driving? :shock: :shock: :shock: My wife drives into Central London every night to work and our car is Congestion Charge exempt and I'm still taking the train. Partly for the outside chance of a pint but mainly because driving in London is something I'd rather not do!!

Tony..

That's two of us for the pub then. :rolleyes:

I went again last year for the third time in 6 years, but I doubt I'll go again. Here's why.

The location - pants (unless you live in London or Kent)

The lecture hall - great.

Catering - very basic and almost nowhere to sit. Last year I ended up having to sit on the floor opposite the gents loo to eat!

Exhibition space - MUCH too small and as a result, very cramped. Most exhibitors cannot bring anything like as much stuff as they would like because of the lack of space and several have simply stopped coming as a result.

I've spoken to the organisers about the inadequacies of the venue, but they won't consider a venue outside London and don't see the inadequate catering or ridiculously cramped space as problems.

If someone organised a similar event nearer the middle of the country and provided better facilities I think they'd be on to a winner.

Catering - very basic and almost nowhere to sit. Last year I ended up having to sit on the floor opposite the gents loo to eat!

Exhibition space - MUCH too small and as a result, very cramped. Most exhibitors cannot bring anything like as much stuff as they would like because of the lack of space and several have simply stopped coming as a result.

I've spoken to the organisers about the inadequacies of the venue, but they won't consider a venue outside London and don't see the inadequate catering or ridiculously cramped.

Yep, that 'sums it up nicely', and is precisely why I don't bother going anymore.

Dave

I've spoken to the organisers about the inadequacies of the venue, but they won't consider a venue outside London and don't see the inadequate catering or ridiculously cramped.

Yep, that 'sums it up nicely', and is precisely why I don't bother going anymore.

Dave

Well, you guys have just about convinced me that this will be my one and only visit. I was so excited at the prospect too. Maybe just as well I reduced my stay to two nights with just one visit to Astrofest. :rolleyes:

RON. :lol::D

If I went I would not be interested in the lectures but the trade stands.

However, do these trade stands actually have any bargains or are the prices the same as the internet in which case I won't bother and save the trainfare.

So are the prices less than they usually sell the otems for etc and do they haggle?

The prices are usually keener than usual and they are open to a bit of negotiation.

As for the venue, yep, I agree. Its too cramped - there was a thread with the editor of Astronomy Now about this very subject.

Anyway, good excuse to meet up with other SGL'ers!

Archived