Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Different eps or Barlow?

I have had a look honest, so please don't berate me if this has been done a thousand times before!!!

I have a well collimated 200p with standard eps 10 &25 mm. Now these to a complete novice are good to get seeing. I would however like a little more detail on planets (can see jupiter and vague bands but not much else) and certainly a better view of clusters DSO's etc (caveat to that is living in city and LP is a problem)

So I have been looking at better and more powerful ep (8-9mm) but was wondering if I would just be better getting a half decent Barlow and effectively have 4 ep out of the 2 I already have?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Cheers

:kiss:

Erm... I would actually suggest both! A decent Barlow is of course a good way to extend your EP collection, but the kit eyepieces aren't the best in the first place. I bought a few Celestron Omni's after my kit ones and although they are by no means the finest glass around, they were a massive improvement. I see more detail with less powerful ep's, just through the quality. I personally would recommend upgrading, though others of course may think differently!

Posted via Tapatalk on an ageing iPhone so please excuse any erroneous spellings or accidental profanities!

A barlow is a cheap solution, and it can get you started for a modest outlay. A single EP is better, unless you get a premium "Barlow" like the TV PowerMates or the Meade TeleXtenders (not true barlows).

Given the quality (or lack of) of most 10mm EPs shipped with scopes, I suspect you will be better off with a better EP. Which one is very much a matter of budget

I think you need a new eyepiece too. The kit eyepieces that came with the scope are quite poor by modern standard. BST Explorer is a good budget upgrade. Vixen NPL plossl is another low cost upgrade.

Most barlow will degrade the image. A bad eyepiece with a balow will still give you bad results.

The other often offered option requires some patience but second hand TeleVue Plossls are also very good.

I'd be the first to recomend BST Starguiders but that's already been done ;)

Focal lengths are all your own choice. I'd replace the 10mm Plossl with an 8mm BST or TVP.

The 25mm with a 25mm BST or 32mm TVP

Thanks for the comments and advice. I guess I shall go down the EP route for now and see how I get on with better ones then consider the Barlow when I have sold the kids!

in fairness you sort of need a barlow as well. The advice I gave above kind of ignoed your original comment about planetary viewing and the limitation of 10mm, im sorry.

If you had £100 I'd say get the 12mm BST Starguider and the best Barlow you can afford. possibly the Baader Classic 2.25x

http://www.firstligh...25x-barlow.html

Or the Revelation 2.5x

http://www.firstligh...25x-barlow.html

This would give you the greater detail you seek on planets/moon and the 12mm is a decent replacement for the 10mm at about it's point unbarlowed.

The 25mm you have is sufficient if what you want is planetary detail.

The 12mm alone would give 100x, so great medium power. globs / galaxies etc

The 2.25x barlow paired with a 12mm BST would give 225x which is nice

The 2.5x barlow paired with a 12mm BST would give 250x which is also nice

you can then always replace your low end 25mm plossl later when/if you wanted to invest some more :)

If however your budget is more modest, lets say £50 or less and there is little chance to get more fund then get a Skywatcher 2x barlow. It might not improve the views of the eyepieces you have but it'll give you 2 more magnifications, a 5mm which is better for planets and moon and a 12.5mm which is nice for lots of targets. This was certaintly where I started out and it served me well enough before I started collecing eyepieces.

We were in your position just a few weeks ago, and after perusing many reviews and seeing the good reports regarding BST Starguider Eyepieces, bought the 18mm as a starter. What a difference this has made, especially to the 200P....so much so that I have just today ordered the 5mm as well.

I Barlowed the 18mm last night (Baader 2.25) and Saturn and Moon were beautiful. The stock eyepieces are fine to start with, but you soon realise just how much better the views are with an improved EP. I am sure that others will have their favourites, but for me having to save up each time before buying, these BST's are an excellent first step up.

Frank

The eyepieces with the scope are not going to be the finest ever made. As many above have said, get some BST's they are not going to break the bank and will be a considerable step up on he ones you have. The other thing you could do is check out secondhand, go armed with the advice from here.

I don't know what your top line is but there are some very good S/H eyepieces. Names to look for: Televue Plossl, Meade 5000 SWA or Super Plossl, BST's, Explore Sc any they make, Vixen Plossl. Have a look on Astro B&S and if you see something repost with a 'what do think of these' and I am sure we will tell you.

Alan

Thanks once again everyone I think I'll look at one per month (better ones) rather than crappy ones just to get them all in one go.

Cheers

You may be surprised to find how long the one-per-month scheme of buying things runs for.... :rolleyes:

Russell

I have run out of eyepieces to buy so now I am back on scopes. Crazy I am maybe, but this month so far I have had 14 clear nights so at least they get use. I only wish you lads had the same sort of weather as me, but sometimes we could use some of that English weather last year 122 days without rain and only a few clouds.

I think the buy something once a month is a great idea, it gives you something to look forward to.

Alan

You may be surprised to find how long the one-per-month scheme of buying things runs for.... :rolleyes:

Russell

forever, in my experience. MY spending habit goes thus

1) get paid

2) buy everything I've fancied that month

3) spend the rest of the month compiling next month's shopping list

4) go to 1

I have run out of eyepieces to buy so now I am back on scopes. Crazy I am maybe, but this month so far I have had 14 clear nights so at least they get use. I only wish you lads had the same sort of weather as me, but sometimes we could use some of that English weather last year 122 days without rain and only a few clouds.

I think the buy something once a month is a great idea, it gives you something to look forward to.

Alan

ever thought of building an annex and charging us to come out for hols? :)

Archived