New Hubble Horsehead

badgerchap

This lovely new (I assume) Hubble image appeared on a certain social networking newsfeed today. Anyone know or have any guesses how it's been able to get so much detail without being washed out by the stars? Also there appears to be a distinct lack of Ha from behind the head. Can we assume this is just clever work with narrowband imaging, or is there something else at work?

post-4964-13663948786_thumb.jpg

Posted via Tapatalk on an ageing iPhone so please excuse any erroneous spellings or accidental profanities!

I follow the Hubble telescope on facebook so this popped up on my page this morning. Is truely a stunning shot! I would suggest following (if you're on fb) the post new pictures every couple days. Its a nice extra little treat to APOD, which I'm sure will host this image with in the next day or two. Anyways here's the link with more info on it.

http://www.spacetele.../news/heic1307/

To answer your question on that specific one you are talking it is taken in IR but only proccess in BG I think. Click on the larger of the two images on the right and it has more detail info on the image and what cameras they used and filters and such.

Archived