Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nexstar 8SE - East Sussex area

Thinking of upgrading to an 8SE from my 4SE. But before I pull the trigger and splash a load of cash can anyone let me know how much bigger things are going to look. For example Saturn looks like the tip of a felt tip pen in the 4SE with a 12mm EP. How big is it going to look with a 8SE.

ive tried looking for pictures but these all seem to be processed and tweaked.

Failing that is there anyone in East Sussex that would be willing to let me have a look?

It's a shame I had to send back my Nexstar mount as I could have shown you my Edge HD C8. Although supposedly slighter better optics than a regular C8 you'd get the general idea. The image scale is certainly larger than my 5i which again would be slightly larger than your 4 although as you have a MAK the chances are your views are going to be nice and sharp. Poorly collimated CATS can be a little soft in terms of the view.

Overall the 8 is a nice jump in light gathering power and if properly cooled and collimated will give some superb views. The Nexstar 8 SE mount though is just about bearable. If you plan to setup on concrete then you'll need the vibration pads as touching the Focuser sends the image wobbling. Also, the goto is a little bit of a fine art as you need to balance the OTA well. Celestron have clearly changed the motors too in the SE compared with the older I series as they are both noisier and slower than mine. Real shame.

still, the 8" really makes globular cluster come to life. Planets are indeed larger but there are better planet scopes out there. The package itself, if you're after the most portable 8" cat then yes, the SE package is good. If your after no fuss accuracy and stability and identical optical performance look at the cpc range. It is much heavier but its also far more stable.

Thanks. Saw a CPC 9.25 in the flesh and its massive. Too massive for the quick grab and points that I've been doing recently.

oooh, interesting, I'm looking to get a CPC1100 and really am a little concerned about the sheer size!!

Yes, it's a tough choice. Th CPC is a tank by comparison. Slow, steady and precise slewing on a much heavy mount and tripod. The SE is far light and perhaps a little more versatile but the tripod isn't as stable and the OTA needs to be carefully balanced. The benefits, I can either split the SE into 3 parts or even carry the OTA and mount in one with out even trying. My CPC always felt like a heavy lift noting the 800 isn't actually that bad and the clever handles help.

:)

Hi,

I've got the 8se - had it since mid January, and I'm really impressed with it. The mount has proven itself much more stable than I read it was going to be. The goto is excellent, once I'd Sussed out some of the tricks of quick and accurate alignment.

I've had some very good evenings viewing with it, and seen things that I would never have found without the goto. I've also set it up so I can drive it from sky safari on my Android tab.

I reckon its a great scope.

Hi,

I've got the 8se - had it since mid January, and I'm really impressed with it. The mount has proven itself much more stable than I read it was going to be. The goto is excellent, once I'd Sussed out some of the tricks of quick and accurate alignment.

I've had some very good evenings viewing with it, and seen things that I would never have found without the goto. I've also set it up so I can drive it from sky safari on my Android tab.

Yep, I'd agree, when you get accustomed to its weaknesses it's a fantastic scope for its size. I miss my Nexstar 8i

As a beginner twenty years ago I was very taken by SCTs and fuddy duddy astrosoc members were not convinced. Now I'm one of those fuddy duddies.

SCTs have their virtues but why not take a step back? What exactly do you want to do with your telescope? An SCT might be the perfect choice but, then again, it might not.

Olly

Thinking of upgrading to an 8SE from my 4SE. But before I pull the trigger and splash a load of cash can anyone let me know how much bigger things are going to look. For example Saturn looks like the tip of a felt tip pen in the 4SE with a 12mm EP. How big is it going to look with a 8SE.

ive tried looking for pictures but these all seem to be processed and tweaked.

Failing that is there anyone in East Sussex that would be willing to let me have a look?

In my experience the bigger the image gets the lesser the contrast is unless you get better eyepieces - even then you are limited by the speed of your scope, the atmospheric conditions and by the amount of cash you are willing to spend. :smiley:

In My 6SE Saturn, with a 12mm eyepiece, is probably about 10mm including the rings, However it is very clear and the rings are clearly separated from the main body of the planet , it is quite a sight. :laugh:

I am not sure of the difference between mine and an 8SE, but there is quite a difference between mine and yours by the sound if it.

Shaun

As a beginner twenty years ago I was very taken by SCTs and fuddy duddy astrosoc members were not convinced. Now I'm one of those fuddy duddies.

SCTs have their virtues but why not take a step back? What exactly do you want to do with your telescope? An SCT might be the perfect choice but, then again, it might not.

Olly

Olly thanks - but I know I like this style of scope as the 4SE meets my needs easy to grab and put outside ... plus I actually find it relatively easy to align... I don't want to go Dobs or Reflector. Actually the discussions remind me of my other hobby archery where longbowers, recurvers and compounders all extole the virtue of their type of scope. Needless to say I'm a compounder :0)

My needs are simple ... I like looking at the moon and the planets ... and seeing them as big and clearly as possible ...

Hi,

thanks that's been good to hear

• 3 weeks later...

Archived