SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bresser Messier AR127L Exos 2 Goto

I thought it expensive as well Russell, especially since the Bresser can be had for a little over £300 new....

http://www.astroshop.de/bresser-teleskop-ac-127-1200-messier-ota/p,13233

I'm saving for another project at the minute but would be seriously tempted by the above sometime in the future. Am I correct in saying the EXOS 2 would be the equivalent of the Skywatcher EQ5?

That is where mine came from and the EXOS 2 is an LXD75, so it's a EQ5/CG5 class mount.

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD using chubby fingers. Sorry.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys!!!

New to the forum!

i salute you all

I just ordered the bresser 127/1200 EXO-S 2 scope. i'm both ansious and worried about the chromatic aberration...

Hi and welcome to the forum :smiley:

I've owned a Bresser 127 / 1200. The CA is there but not too bad at that focal ratio. Obviously it's not an apochromat though.

I suspect you will enjoy the views despite the slight CA around the brighter objects. It's quite normal for an achromat of that specification.

thanks

how you imagine it compares with my evostar 90 f/10.1 ? on the moon i only get a bit on the edges of the objects, not in the craters. 

A 127mm F/9.4 will show more CA than an 90mm F/10.1. This table should help you assess how much CA an achromat of a given specification is likely to produce:

post-118-0-87076200-1438653037.jpg

you are the best :)

oh well, a little bit more. i assume that lens brand coatings have little influence then...

very helpful indeed, thanks a million

it was the biggest/afortable/portable/longer focal length that i found, i hope i'm not going to be disapointed. you helped alot thks

cheers, and trudi-loo :) going to bed

good night 

I don't think I've met Trudi-loo !

I agree with Russell, they are good scopes with lots of observing potential. I'm not a fan of CA but I didn't find it so intrusive with the 127L that I owned that I needed to resort to filters or anything of the sort.

They are also reasonably portable for a large refractor. When you take the step up again to 150mm F/8 refractors become a whole lot more of a handful !

post-118-0-20697000-1438679942_thumb.jpg

Hi Nuno and welcome to SGL :laugh:

I agree with John and Russ's opinions. I have the same scope and it's a good one. The nearest comparison to your previous F10 scope that I have owned is probably the TAL 100RS at F10. The Bresser/Meade shows a little more CA but only on bright objects or at high power (over x150). It's actually F9.4 so should perform slightly better than the table shows for a 127mm F9 scope.

I much prefer the additional 27mm aperture over the Tal 100 (itself a great scope) as it shows many more fainter stars and detail in brighter DSO's.

Enjoy your new toy, here are a few pictures of mine, one of them next to the TAL 100RS. The AR127L is a MUCH bigger scope! :grin:

Dave

post-4043-0-74279000-1438693840_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-62397300-1438693851_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-48760600-1438693859_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-19289100-1438693869_thumb.jp

post-4043-0-42974700-1438693879_thumb.jp

I have a bresser 127L too, I made an alt/az mount for mine.

post-26021-0-52743100-1438709413_thumb.j

Interesting fact, the lens is only 120mm diameter! which assuming the focal length is correct at 1200mm makes it a 120mm f/10 scope.

James.

.......Interesting fact, the lens is only 120mm diameter! which assuming the focal length is correct at 1200mm makes it a 120mm f/10 scope.

James.

Nice looking scope and mount :smiley:

I didn't think to measure the diameter of the 127L that I used to have. It seemed a bit larger than the Skywatcher Evostar 120 but I did not check it exactly.

This is the objective of mine next to a 102mm and a 150mm for comparison:

post-118-0-10388700-1438711207_thumb.jpg

Nice looking scope James:-). Yours does look a bit different to mine (I like the black dewshield, did you paint it or did it come like that?).

The later versions like mine have that (IMO) rather naff red trim ring around the front end but there's no denying the white tube paint job is good for the cost of the scope, as is most of the rest of it.

I just measured my objective and its definitely a full 127mm clear aperture:-)

Dave

I have a bresser 127L too, I made an alt/az mount for mine.

attachicon.gifBresser.JPG

Interesting fact, the lens is only 120mm diameter! which assuming the focal length is correct at 1200mm makes it a 120mm f/10 scope.

James.

What focuser is that and where (if you had to) did you get the adaptor?

Russell

Nice looking scope James:-). Yours does look a bit different to mine (I like the black dewshield, did you paint it or did it come like that?).

The later versions like mine have that (IMO) rather naff red trim ring around the front end but there's no denying the white tube paint job is good for the cost of the scope, as is most of the rest of it.

I just measured my objective and its definitely a full 127mm clear aperture:-)

Dave

Hi, the dew shield is just wrapped in matt black sticky backed vinyl stuff, I was just trying to make the scope a little bit less conspicuous because it's higher than my neighbours fence when pointing above about 50 degrees, mine had the red tape trim too but it came off quite easily.

As for the 127mm aperture, on mine part of the plastic lens cell is 127mm but it steps in again nearer the lens, it's hard to measure and it could be 122mm but i suspect it's 120. Not that it matters much, I really this scope.

What focuser is that and where (if you had to) did you get the adaptor?

Russell

The focuser is a 3" Telescope Express crayford with a 2" Baader click lock, it works quite well, I didn't want to spend a lot and it's much better than the standard rack and pinion.

I made the adapter myself, the crayford was a little longer than the original focuser so I cut the ota down a bit too, i think it's 20mm shorter overall now which makes it a bit more binoviewer friendly. 

James.

.... mine had the red tape trim too but it came off quite easily.

As for the 127mm aperture, on mine part of the plastic lens cell is 127mm but it steps in again nearer the lens, it's hard to measure and it could be 122mm but i suspect it's 120. Not that it matters much, I really this scope.

I think I'd remove the red trim if I had one too. Otherwise, the all white colour scheme looks classy :smiley:

There is a way to test the true aperture your scope is giving. It's described here:

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/431279-the-flashlight-test-for-aperture-illustrated/

... i got mine today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   xD

yeayyyyyyy

First impressions on terrestrial views (conditions not 100% sunny). 

Side by side it didn't showed any more a. aberration (white statues) than my skywatcher 90 f/10 (at maximum magnifications (240x bresser /182x skywatcher) than i can perceive.

makes me wonder about the 150..., oh well it is done and the 150 was 200 eur more...

seems like a decent scope :) 

nigth views on hold...

Archived