SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Norfolk astronomer

The Serpent

Hello to all

I'm a new astronomer based in Norfolk - I've always been interested in astronomy and I've taken the plunge recently. SGL has been really helpful in my understanding of things so I'm making myself known!

I've faffed around with binoculars over the years but I came across a bit of a 'classic' scope recently. A Prinz Optics 660 - an f/16 refractor which looks like a bazooka! In its coffin-like box along with the tube was the wooden tripod with equatorial mount, an erector, a diagonal, a plate for solar projection, a solar filter which I'll never use as I've no idea how old it is, a dew guard and two original eyepieces with a 2x barlow

Everything works after a good clean-up and some adjustments to take the slop out of the mount's fine controls and if you dismantle the polar axis column a bit, you can can see through it to align it with Polaris. All good fun so far, but I'll be staring another thread about eyepieces in the appropriate place..!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. Looks like you have discovered some interesting kit there and look forward to reading about how you are getting along with this artillery piece once the weather clears! :grin:

So wishing you clear skies soon and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Welcome to the forum .

If the 'solar filter' is one of the ones that fits the eyepiece then destroy it and bin it straight away.

If you wish to view the Sun with your scope , highly recommended pastime by the way , then get a sheet of Baader ND5.0 Solar film and do it in guaranteed safety.

http://www.green-witch.com/acatalog/Solar_Filte.html

Welcome to SGL. Your Prinz 660 rang a bell with me. I had a Prinz but I think it was the 60mm version on an EQ (handraulic type) , bought from Dixon's in Castle Acre shopping centre many years ago. It was my second telescope. Long gone now though. Had great fun with it.

Hello to all

I'm a new astronomer based in Norfolk - I've always been interested in astronomy and I've taken the plunge recently. SGL has been really helpful in my understanding of things so I'm making myself known!

I've faffed around with binoculars over the years but I came across a bit of a 'classic' scope recently. A Prinz Optics 660 - an f/16 refractor which looks like a bazooka! In its coffin-like box along with the tube was the wooden tripod with equatorial mount, an erector, a diagonal, a plate for solar projection, a solar filter which I'll never use as I've no idea how old it is, a dew guard and two original eyepieces with a 2x barlow

Everything works after a good clean-up and some adjustments to take the slop out of the mount's fine controls and if you dismantle the polar axis column a bit, you can can see through it to align it with Polaris. All good fun so far, but I'll be staring another thread about eyepieces in the appropriate place..!

Just wanted to tell you also that i love your Profile pic, Grimlock Rules!!

Thanks for the welcome, all

Steve - that filter is the screw-in type and won't ever be used. I've heard of Baader solar film when I was looking to observe the transit of venus last year (before I bought the scope). I'll keep it for posterity as it is clearly quite old but I don't need it as the scope came with an arm and plate for solar projection. I tried it out yesterday with the 20mm ep and it works very well. Saw a few sunspots even with the regular cloud interruptions! I'll sort out a pic at some point.

Baggywrinkle - I've read these came from Dixons way back when they were predominantly a camera shop with a aide-line in good astronomy gear, much like many camera shops today. If I'm correct I think this was the big beasty of the family - someone's Takahashi of the day?!

You are correct DigitalDev1l, Grimlock does indeed rule!

Archived