SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Moon with iPhone 5

looks pretty good Skeletone, i am sure you will get better results once the mount comes, i know finding the EP in the phone is half the battle pretty good shot though considering the conditions

what eyepiece do you use?

:)

That is a very nice shot considering all the hurdles you had to overcome. Focus looks spot on and the exposure of the Moon itself is good too. If you load the pic into an image editing programme - even Microsoft Office Picture Manager - and adjust the brightness and/or mid tone it should improve the image even more.

forgot to mention i took a shot of the moon after i posted the video Skeletone, this is what i got!

Moon 14-4-13

Had some issues with the clouds but i am lucky the BST Eyepieces have such a wide fov as it does make it slightly easier to focus!

Keep it up i am sure you will get some great shots!

Also look out for an iphone app called "Adobe Photoshop Express" it can tweak colours/contrast on the phone so another quick way of editing :)

Hey' thanks!! I used the 6.3mm EP that came with my scope... I'm pretty surprised I got that good of a photo considering how shaky etc it was...

I took a video as well, it must of been my lucky night, when I played back the video ,I captured what I think is a satellite... It went flying by through the moons shadow, so it only looked like a black dot..

Overall I'm definitely hooked! :) I will try a editing program next to try and improve the photos!

• 2 weeks later...

I posted these elsewhere, but it does seem to work quite well. It takes some fiddling around to get the correct position relative to the ep but good results are possible, even hand held.

post-6762-136681032252_thumb.jpg

post-6762-136681033976_thumb.jpg

This was with an iPhone 5, 3" apo refractor at x137.

Stu

I'm obviously missing something obvious here :huh: I tried taking shots of the moon through the eyepiece (with a lp filter in place) at the weekend and I all I get are images of a bright white ball :mad:

What phone are you trying to use? I find a combination of playing with the focus area and luck works best. I tend to take inbetween 10-20 shots, some of which are big white balls, but some of them turn out good, then narrow them down afterwards. Iv got a library now full of slightly out of focus moon shots to delete at some point.

I'm using an IPhone 5, with a vixen NPL 25mm EP for the moon, for Saturn I was using a Vixen 10mm EP.

I just held my iPhone over the EP and gauged the distance of how close to the EP I needed to get it into focus.... The 25mm I had to hold the iPhone further away and for the 10mm I was basically just putting the phone right against it... Took a bit of messing with to get the image but it works..

Skeletone

Vixen VMC110L

I'm obviously missing something obvious here :huh: I tried taking shots of the moon through the eyepiece (with a lp filter in place) at the weekend and I all I get are images of a bright white ball :mad:

Try playing around with the ISO settings of the camera. 100 or 200 should so the job. You can get decent images with a camera phone but as mentioned you normally need to take a lot of shots to get a few good ones.

Yes there is, telescopehouse do a deal on their site for all the bits you need to attach a compact camera/smartphone to the EP. http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation-Universal-Smartphone-Adapter-Megadeal.html

Im sure FLO will have an equivalent aswell. Once payday comes around tomorrow its something I'm going to be buying as I think afocal photography with an iphone is a good challenge. Limited yes, but its definatley the quickest and easiest way to get some nice shots of solar system objects.

Yes there is, telescopehouse do a deal on their site for all the bits you need to attach a compact camera/smartphone to the EP. http://www.telescope...r-Megadeal.html

Im sure FLO will have an equivalent aswell. Once payday comes around tomorrow its something I'm going to be buying as I think afocal photography with an iphone is a good challenge. Limited yes, but its definatley the quickest and easiest way to get some nice shots of solar system objects.

Thanks for that Matt.

I've knocked up a temporary gizmo which seems to work ok in daylight. I'll try it out on the moon when I next get a chance.

Cameramod-1Small_zpscaef08bf.jpg

The image with your mod on seems to have disappeared, have you upped it anywhere else as I was talking to telescope house yesterday and the adapters come to around £60 all together to connect an iPhone and I'd rather see if theres something I could make instead.

For the record, FLO don't do anything similar.

The image with your mod on seems to have disappeared, have you upped it anywhere else as I was talking to telescope house yesterday and the adapters come to around £60 all together to connect an iPhone and I'd rather see if theres something I could make instead.

For the record, FLO don't do anything similar.

I'll try again. Don't know what I did last time :rolleyes:

Cameramod-1Small_zpscaef08bf.jpg

Archived