SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Battling a detached retina since 13/4/12

Just to let you all know I've not lost the astronomy bug just having a rough time at present.

Another batch of laser eye treatment left me really ill recently with long periods of tiredness & constant nausea.

Not nice at all. By the time I get home from work I just don't feel like lugging out the "equipment" but I'll persevere.

I'm sure I'll be back on track soon.

Clear skies to you all (as they say).

That's tough! Hope things go well and you're back back out there. My left eye has become permanently scarred due to a viral infection that means lights are diffracted and blurred. Makes for difficult night driving with oncoming headlights!!!

Bright stars are blurry. Good job my right is still ok.

Hope you get back out there and the views are what they were before your trouble.

Clear skies.......he said hopefully.....

Barry

Kestrel, that sounds tough, having treatment on your eyes must be horrid. As said, you are not missing much at the moment but I hope you start to feel better soon.

Barry, not sure how long you have had your problem, but I had something similar in both eyes and it gradually improved over about a year. I don't have any problems now, so hope you may be similar.

All the best,

Stu

I wasn't expecting all this. I'm a new starter having only recently managed to get outside but suffered a bit of a setback. I just didn't want everyone to think I'd got bored & packed it in. Thanks for all the kind comments everyone.

I'll be back.

HI Phill stay with it. Know how you feel, I had a detached rettina in 1989.Mine had gone past where they could use a laser on it, so they at to operate on the retina its self, which left me with my pupil jammed open. Took me a long time to get back observing , but observing l am and you will be as well so keep your chin up, and remember we're all with you.

Clear skies

phillc

Thanks for the advice phillc.

Have no idea what you went through. Mine started when I visited the opticians after a few bad headaches & all hell broke loose. I thanked the optician for her quick actions because I was in hospital for laser surgery within 24 hrs (Friday 13th April 2012).

It's been one operation after another ever since.

Lasering. Gas. Then silicon oil in the eye to keep the retina flat & attached. It's still tearing away again hence the latest batch of laser surgery in an attempt to stop it detaching again. If it does go again its game over so the why I'm so down at the moment. Fingers crossed in the hope it'll stay there but even if it does the prospect of actually focussing on things is not great because the tear was so bad.

Am glad I use me right eye in the main because the left is pretty much buggered. Slight possibility of some improvement in vision over time keeps me hoping, though.

Your words have given me the lift I needed. Thanks.

How did the retina become detatched in the first place? And what were the symptoms?

hope it starts to improve soon, eyes are one of the few things I'm very squeamish about, my wife had laser eye surgery a few years back and just her describing it to be had me going a funny colour and having to sit down.

Archived