SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

FR/FF vs Synguider + ST80 - Best improvement?

Hey guys,

Am looking to make an upgrade in the next week or so and am wondering if anyone can suggest which of the two would provide the most improvements in image quality.

With all of the items totalling the £500 mark, I wouldn't be able to afford it all just yet, so it'll either be the ST80 + synguider setup, or alternatively the ED80 FR/FF.

I don't have enough experience yet to be able to appreciate how much a 0.85x focal length reduction will assist me, with the ED80 being the only thing I've ever tried to image with. I have read lots of reviews regarding the synguider however, and as I almost exclusively at a dark site it seems like a good option to me.

That said, I am tracking a really light scope on an neq6 pro which so far has tracked beautifully at 1 min subs.

So all in all, not really sure which to go for. I'll have both eventually, but not for a couple of months so want to make the right choice.

Anyone with more experience able to advise?

Hey guys,

Am looking to make an upgrade in the next week or so and am wondering if anyone can suggest which of the two would provide the most improvements in image quality.

With all of the items totalling the £500 mark, I wouldn't be able to afford it all just yet, so it'll either be the ST80 + synguider setup, or alternatively the ED80 FR/FF.

I don't have enough experience yet to be able to appreciate how much a 0.85x focal length reduction will assist me, with the ED80 being the only thing I've ever tried to image with. I have read lots of reviews regarding the synguider however, and as I almost exclusively at a dark site it seems like a good option to me.

That said, I am tracking a really light scope on an neq6 pro which so far has tracked beautifully at 1 min subs.

So all in all, not really sure which to go for. I'll have both eventually, but not for a couple of months so want to make the right choice.

Anyone with more experience able to advise?

Astro buy sell website theirs a guy on there selling a synguider for £175 think its still available.

cheers Kev

Without doubt the guider, though I wouldn't buy a standalone unless you need to be PC free in the field. You have more control and flexibility with a guide camera and free PHD software.

Guiding is a fact of imaging life on sub millionaire mounts. You have to do it to get long reliable subs. Going up from a minute to 8 minutes or whatever takes you into all-new territory.

You can always crop the images to remove artefacts arising from field curvature. I'm guessing you use a DSLR? If so this has a big chip and can easily afford to lose the outer parts.

In imaging mount takes priority and the guider is part of the mount.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2277139556&k=FGgG233

The skywatcher fr/ff is none existent in the country atm, apparently they're back in the importers at the end of the month-ish.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Archived