SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

No more TAL barlows :(

Hey guys,

I just emailed FLO and they said that TAl have discontinued their legendary barlows! That makes me sad. I wanted to get one of them. Steve from FLO emailed back with 2 potential options,

• Celeston XCel Barlow
  • Revelation Barlow

Does anyone have any experience with these barlows?

What other options do I have? I'm looking to spend no more than around £50 but I'll consider things slightly above it if its that good :)

Thanks

Both of those barlows should be good. I dont read complaints about either, obviously they are different effects (I have assumed the revelation barlow you cited is a 2.5x not the 2" 2x ED)

I think the important thing with Barlows is to buy one as good or better than your eyepiece quality so as not to introduce optical defects or degrade the quality of your eyepieces.

I believe Tal still supply their x2 barlow with their scope packages as well, just not for individual sale - via UK retailers at least. It may be possible to import from Russia although I dont hear of anyone doing that. They do pop up on the second hand market from time to time if you had your heart set on one.

The Baader Q x2.25 seems to be quite favourably and is within budget http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-classic-q-225x-barlow.html I also noticed today that ES do a good range of 1.25" barlows (though can't find the link - they looked very simimlar to thre Revelations). The Revelation EDs seem to be used a lot for planetary imaging - I have the 5x - it certainly feels nicely made, but until we get better seeing I can't comment on performance ;)

I had a TAL 2x. I sold it a couple of years ago at cost when they were short in supply because i didnt use it much. In hind sight i should have held onto it. I now have a Revelation 1.5-2x barlow and i just cant seem to get it focused. I think it is a monday morning barlow.

I've not seen the Revelation/GSO 1.25" 2x barlow for sale for some time (though as I have one anyhow I don't exactly go looking for it), but the 2.5x is very good. I use it heavily for planetary imaging.

James

Like James, I thought the Revelation 2.5x pretty good as an alternative low-cost-but-nice barlow. The Baader Q-Turrest 2.25x is simply made but optically excellent too, albeit for a few more £'s.

Import an ES 1.25" 2x Focal Extender from the US for £90?

I've had a few barlows, although none that you list and never got on with them. The increase in eye relief seems to be my problem, as none of the last two sets of EPs I've owned needed more ER.

Pop the ES FE in the chain, and it's just like using an EP of half the FL. Ideal.

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD using chubby fingers. Sorry.

To be honest (and I am a BIG TAL fan). I never thought much of the 2x Tal barlow. Great build quality but wasn't an amazing barlow. It's also MUCH too yellow and dims the view far too much at high manifications. It also throws the eyerelief back too far out of the eypiece.

I still have the three times TAL and that is actually much better and does not really dim or yellow the view at all! The eye relieif thing doesn't happen as much either.

The only problem with it is the tiny lens which makes it difficult to use with anything above 17-18mm eyepieces.

Anyway there are still many pretty good alternatives out there for not too much money.

Not much of a Barlow fan, but I never found a problem with the Celestron X-Cel LX one. Worked well in both the f/10 and f/5; stars remained sharp across the image and due to the higher magnification, contrast was a lot nicer. Personally, I prefer working without a Barlow, so in the end sold mine on.

Archived