Hello from Eastern Massachusetts

pbenni

I recently joined this forum and have been posting some of my recent astro images to get up to the 10 post count...

I have been always interested in the stars and planets since I was 7 years old. Two years ago I got my first telescope, a C8 EdgeHD SCT on a CGEM mount. Later I got into AP with a ST-8300M ccd. Since then I have collected a lot of equipment, some from Astromart.

I now have two primary AP setups: a high resolution and a wideview configuration. For high resolution I use a C11 EdgeHD SCT, 0.7x reducer, OAG, and a ST-8300M on a G11-Gemini2 mount. For wideview, I use a ES80mm refractor with a 0.8x reducer/flattener on the CGEM mount. I am waiting for the C8 EdgeHD 0.7x reducer to become available to have an medium in between configuration.

On clear nights, I haul out my AP platform to the front yard of my suburban home and setup the tripod on marked polar aligned wide pavers bricks. At first my wife thought I was a little crazy but now she seems to accept my hobby - so long as she comes first... I dont know what some of the neighbors may think, but I had many come over for a view. I also started participating at school star parties, which has been a joy watching kids for the first time see Jupiter and other sky wonders.

Some people ask why I bother to take a picture of a galaxy or nebula in the sky when great pictures are available on the internet. I ask them would they settle on a picture of the Grand Canyon, or prefer to visit and see themselves. AP feels the same for me, its an experience. However, I like taking the pictures better than processing them -I wish there was an instant processing button to create the final image.

My interest in Astronomy and telescope / AP has been a mental stress relief for me from my day job activities. I am an engineer and scientist in a totally unrelated field, but did work on the Mars Observer spacecraft that failed once it reached Mars orbit. Oh well...

I feel I will be in this hobby a long time and will continue to expand particularly in outreach possibilities when I have the time. My greatest observing wish now is to see the stars from the southern hemisphere. Overall my journey in this hobby is a spiritual experience and refreshes my general well being. I am thankful for everyone who contributed in any way to this hobby via the forums, websites, and books, as I learned a lot from you to be where I am today.

Paul

Welcome to the forum.

Some people ask why I bother to take a picture of a galaxy or nebula in the sky when great pictures are available on the internet. I ask them would they settle on a picture of the Grand Canyon, or prefer to visit and see themselves. AP feels the same for me, its an experience. However, I like taking the pictures better than processing them -I wish there was an instant processing button to create the final image.

Well said. My own attempts at imaging have been very modest, but have helped to engage my interest in the subject, and I've learned a lot in the process. In many ways, the thoughts it provokes is more important than the image that is seen.

Hi Paul welcome to the lounge,

it's a pleasure to welcome someone with your experience to the lounge

you will hopefully help newbies like myself learn more about this wonderful

hobby, and you will be helped by even more advanced members, it's a great

forum to be part of.

Clear Sky's

i could not have put it better! hi and welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :smiley:

Archived