Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Map of Observing Locations, South Wales

Rhys Hardwick

Hi all,

I have been playing with the idea of creating a map of stargazing locations in South Wales for a little while now. I have put together a Google map, with different locations I have tried or have heard of. The plan is to have a summary of the site, how easy it is to access, public toilets, level ground, horizon and naked eye limiting magnitude. I haven't put a lot of detail on it yet.

I know there have been some worries in the past. These have been due to publicly announcing where we go with expensive equipment after dark. I hope, however, that due to the multiple sites on the map, and the fact that if we do announce it, we plan to go in groups of more than one or two, that this will not be a problem.

In any case, I would be grateful if you could have a look at what I have done so far and leave some feedback. In particular, whether you feel it would be a good idea to make the page public, so we can all chip in and make modifications. The other option is to only invite people from the forum. I don't mind, but it may be a bit of an administrative headache!

Thanks for any advice

Stargazing Sites UK Google Map

Rhys I think this has been considered several times on the site as a whole - personally I don't see any issue with it but there have been concerns raised perviously -To me if you have a site you want to keep to yourself then you still can and unless someone sits out in the dark on every starry night of the year whats the chances of seeing anyone in some of the remote locations to be honest. Safety is always number one priority but I'm fine with it - I'll take a look at the map when I get home- I have one location in Epynt that could be suitable and I know Faulksey likes Clearwen so theres two to start with

Cheers Rhys

Rhys the page is public.The social groups are a small part of this forum and if you type ' observing sites in wales' into a web browser this thread will show up in the results.Even as a guest you can read the content and follow the link thats why in the past members who have very isolated sites didnt feel comfortable posting the co ordinates.I post the blaenavon site because it is fairly busy ( even at night ).But there are some interesting sites on your list :smiley: .

Thanks all.

I do understand the concerns. I agree, if people want to keep their sites private, they already will. If I put myself in mind of someone who would be targeting astronomers, then a quick look through these forums will give them several places to 'stake out' if they are of that mindset. I will keep an open mind, but do find it hard to see how this makes it any less safe. As stated, there are many sites listed on the map, and with suggestions it could be quite crowded, making it even more difficult to predict.

All comments and views very welcome.

Very nicely made Rhys

I actually made one my self but it got berried under all the threads and also as it was very sparse as I didn't want any one accessing the page who could attack you when out in your own. Obviously there's a lot of sites there and as Matt and Steve said it would take a lot of going to find you. Perhaps it would be better to be more broad on the locations with a ask me section for specifics.

But as I said. It's very nice and with good intentions :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys

.................. If I put myself in mind of someone who would be targeting astronomers, then a quick look through these forums will give them several places to 'stake out' if they are of that mindset. I will keep an open mind, but do find it hard to see how this makes it any less safe. .................

All comments and views very welcome.

There is a saying that "when you step in the ocean, you are part of the food chain". The same is true where ever you go in life. Safety is an illusion, as is the belief that the police can protect you, the police arrive " after the fact ".

One has to have the mindset that, " I will not be a victim " and be prepared to respond accordingly.

Mike - I like that. We all know, really (don't we?) that the police and security are there as a deterrent, rather than to stop things happening directly.

Steve - thanks very much!

How do people feel about opening it up for public editing, or selectively for this forum, for all our use?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been scopeing out the region around Claerwen Reservoir on google earth. About 6 miles to the South West, as the crow flys, is Elenydd / Dolgoch youth hostle in the Tywi Valley. The surrounding area looks to have some good spots for observing, which I plan to check out when I get a chance.

Here are the coordinates: 52* 11' 28.00" N by 3* 44' 52.00" W

What's nice is that there are simple but comfortable facilities for a group nearby if the weather isn't cooperative. The hostle is open year round, have a look here at. . . . .

http://www.elenydd-h...ostels/dolgoch/

Thanks for that Mike, I've added it to the map.

I've been scopeing out the region around Claerwen Reservoir on google earth.

Thanks for that Mike, I've added it to the map!

I am really pleased to see this. I spend a lot of time thinking about suitable sites and there's a few here not far from me that I hadn't considered. Cheers Rhys

No worries, glad you found it useful.

I have one that I would add on Mynydd Epynt - very dark site but or the life of me I can't get the co-ords - go to street view and put the little man where I want him but then get in all sorts of problems trying to get the coordinants

I have one that I would add on Mynydd Epynt - very dark site but or the life of me I can't get the co-ords - go to street view and put the little man where I want him but then get in all sorts of problems trying to get the coordinants

Its located about 2 3/4 miles north-west of Pentre Dolau Honddu, just off the B 4519 road, and roughly between Builth Wells and Llangammarch Wells. The coordinates I got on google earth are. . .

52* 06' 13.00" N by 3* 31' 09.00" W

Edit: Note... There seems to be a gate where you turnoff at the B 4519 road onto the road which goes up the mountain.

It looks like there are a couple of parking areas on top, at an elevation of 1500 feet (+ or -).

I have one that I would add on Mynydd Epynt

I have added it to the map, using Mike's coordinates. Would you mind checking to make sure it's correct.

Also, I have opened the map up for public editing *eek*! I'll make a download and backup as often as I remember. Please feel free to contribute directly!

A little further west, and to the south of Rosebush, there is Woodstock Resevoir, which has a nice parking area above the dam.

There are Holiday cottages and B&B's near by. Its another place I plan to check out. Have a look on Google earth, and check out the street views: here are the coordinates. . .

51* 52' 53.00" N by 4* 51' 21.50" W

Edit: There are Sailing and other activities on the lake, which would make it a nice holiday destination.

Archived