548140465_Animationchallenge.jpg.32379dfa6f3bf4bba537689690df680e.jpg

Which Light Pollution Filter?

Ok! I guess that there is a thread somewhere and I’ve read bits and pieces on the forum, but what is the best light pollution filter?

I live in Birmingham where we are blessed with lovely orange skies.

I need it for both visual and astrophotography.

All suggestions appreciated.

David

I have started to use a CLS filter for all my work recently. Although is does block ~50% of the light (and hence doubling the length of the exposures), it really does cut the light pollution almost completely. I`ll be trying out a UHC-S for my imaging over the weekend (hopefully) and compare the two for light pollution removal and also for any inherent colour balance shifts. The CLS has more dramatic filters bands (all or nothing), whereas the UHC-S is slightly less agressive.

I have started to use a CLS filter for all my work recently. Although is does block ~50% of the light (and hence doubling the length of the exposures), it really does cut the light pollution almost completely. I`ll be trying out a UHC-S for my imaging over the weekend (hopefully) and compare the two for light pollution removal and also for any inherent colour balance shifts. The CLS has more dramatic filters bands (all or nothing), whereas the UHC-S is slightly less agressive.

Pls do report, I'm in a market for one and has narrowed it down to Astronomik CLS or Baader UHc-S

Pls do report, I'm in a market for one and has narrowed it down to Astronomik CLS or Baader UHc-S

Yes Steve Please report back.

By the way your pictures are Awesome.

Cheers

David

I`m also waiting for the new and improved Neodymium filter, which currently isnt available in 2" yet (the existing version is, but there is a NEW version due soon). Dont ask what the new version has that the old version doesnt, something to do with a new 7 layer thingamebob or something. Then I`ll take an hour of 10 min subs on an object (to be decided) for each filter and do some comparisons.

Steve @ FLO - any news on that Neodymium flter?

The CLS is actually the less agressive of the two filters and will generally be more useful for shots of galaxies, clusters and star fields etc. The UHC-S will pass less light but give more contrast with nebulae.

Actually, although the Baader UHC-S is excellent for visual use it would be more efficient, for imaging of nebulae, to use an Astronomik UHC filter instead.

bern

I have used the CLS filter ( courtesy of Bern ) for several months and have found it to be excellent. I would say exposures have to be increased by about 33%. Not only does it remove the light pollution it also enhances deep sky objects (it seems to avoid dimming the stars) and produces excellent colour rendition when used with modded Canon DSLR's

John

I got a quick look through the Lumicon last night to compare it with the 1.25" orion skyglow I have..

I think its way better personaly and without the greenish colour cast.

I also aimed it directly at my local street light, the orion still lets a little yellow through, but with the lumicon deepsky the whole lamp showed including the tube inside just showing up white.

I just wish I could afford to grab another in 2" fit as well.

Heres two shots of the street lamp.

The orange one is without any filters

The other is with the deepsky filter.