Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep29_banner.thumb.jpg.da7f3b163f7bd35187cb558b0346baf6.jpg

tarotmac

Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro V cgem mount

trying to decide which is best any comments or views regarding these two mounts and witch would be best to hold an 10 inch SCT

Hi, Tarotmac,

I used an NEQ6 Pro to support a Meade 10" SCT for a while. It was welll capable to hold it, the important thing is to make sure the SCT is really well supported. I used a Losmandy dovetail and it seemed to do the job. I would not recommend anything lighter.

The Celestron CGEM is in a similar class to the NEQ6, I have not used one so cannot compare build quality or tracking accuracy. I think for a while, the software was better, with the all-sky alignment, but I think SW has that feature now too.

Would I pay the extra for the CGEM? Not sure...

HTH.

Gordon.

I had the very same question as you a while back, I went with the cgem, it holds a 925 SCT and it works very well, I wasnt swayed by much really,

I never used a NEQ6, but they are popular, I think any of these will be well able for you SCT

good luck

thanks all still not sure which way to swing

Hi I'm in the same position and have considered both mounts for some time now.

I was comparing the new AZ EQ6 with the CGEM as I think that is a little fairer comparison in price and also design. My main objectives with the any mount is to have it permananently mounted in an observatory, accurate goto's, able to use the hand controller in isolation from a PC, although use of a laptop for controllong the mount may come later, ability for accurate tracking whilst attempting imaging, so not a lot!

Comments I have gleaned from other users on here and elsewhere is that the CGEM has the edge on the NEQ6 regarding build quality and the hand controller software is easier to use if your view of polaris is blocked as it uses software calculations to get precise polar alignment. However some users (particularly in the states) have had tracking issues with the CGEM, but not the DX for some strange reason! It has been supposed that Celetron have been cherry picking the 'better' gearboxes and internals for the DX, although obviously this is only rumour. Although on the other hand the Sky Watcher mount has a huge following and there are many mods, both hardware and software that have been done to 'make it better'

My own feelings are that I will probably go for the CGEM, possibly DX as for the price and load capacity there isn't anything to touch it currently on the market. Plus I don't like white paint! The locking handles and altitude adjustments seem more robust on the CGEM.

Hope this helps, whichever one you get I don't think either would be a bad buy!

Neil.

thanks all still not sure which way to swing

Hi,

Your dilemna is quite a common one and has been discussed quite often in this forum: try looking at this post I made a while ago which gives links to several other posts on the same subject: http://stargazerslou...e/#entry1648510

Edited by r3i

Hi all and Tarotmac,

Did you come to any conclusion and buy a mount?

Does anyone have any thoughts/comments about lack of support by EQMod and what alternatives are available.

Thanks

Steve