Heads UP: Pentax 8-24mm zoom on fleabay

E621Keith

That's a bargain... :)

Aw, go on... you know you want to... :grin:

I have one already :D (PS. this is not mine)

It is great on my C925 and one of my favourite eyepiece. I don't even bother getting out my fixed eyepiece case in most nights.

This eyepiece along with a 40mm wide angle is all you need for a C925 ;)

If I'm using my 3" APO, the minimal kit is the Pentax zoom and a barlow for planets.

I believe they are exactly the same model...(The flo illustration also shows the magnifications)

The XL SMC 8-24mm Zoom also has the focal lengths marked in mm and its a continuous zoom - no click stops...

It was a different zoom to the one flo sells though. This Was for a spotting scope. Had magnifications on the click stops which is pointless for us.

Pentax sells two zoom eyepiece, 6.7-19mm and 8-24mm. Neither have click stop and both produce magnification relevant to astronomy. The main market for this 8-24mm eyepiece is users of Pentax's PF80ED spotting scope, so it's natural the barrel is marked with magnification for that particular scope, but in addition to magnifciation, the barrel is also marked with focal lengths in mm for the other users.

Why do you think spotting scope zoom cannot be use for astronomy, eyepiece is just an eyepiece. If it fits, it will work. Whether it works as well as a purpose designed astronomical eyepiece is a different matter. Most spotting scopes are F6 instruments, so if you use their eyepieces in a scope slower than F6, they are great. I own several Nikon MC spotting scope eyepiece and they are every bit as good as my astro eyepieces.

I was considering this EP at some point, but the eye relief is too tight

ER is an issue for specs wearer, but it's better than most zoom. I can use it with glasses comfortably down to about 12mm, but it feels a bit tight between 12-8mm.

Why do you think spotting scope zoom cannot be use for astronomy, eyepiece is just an eyepiece. If it fits, it will work.

Oh I conmpletey agree, I just mean't stating magnification on the eyepiece wasn't relevant to astronomers as the mangification isn't determined by the eyepiece but by the focal length of the eyepiece and the scope. Clearly this is intended for use with another of their products and they have branded it for that use alone (which I do find a bit odd but whatever). I'm sure it will work just fine in anything that can accept a 1.25" eyepiece barrel.

Archived