Where will it all end ?

This is the sort of thing I can see an eyepiece doing in the future. Or rather a device that sits in the optical pathway like a barlow or coma corector. It would have an in built sensor grid, insivible to the naked eye, so 2-5nm (which is achievable today with current tech) which amplifies photons in certain light ranges and possibly dims others giving you much more boost out of the photons you capture.

The purest in me does enjoy the fact that the actual photons emitted by the actual objects are being directed to the back of my eyeball. I'm not sure how I'd feel about augmented views. If I wanted that I'd just buy a AP setup i guess. Or buy a book.

Right now for me it's all about finding things myself and looking at their photons, clean and pristine.

That doesn't mean the potential for technology doesnt also excite me, I just dont think I'd use it :)

I think that's the appeal of imaging intensifier. The photon that travel thousand or millions of light years finally ends its journey by giving up its energy to dislodge an electron, which then sets off a cascade of electrons that lights up a phosphor screen immediately in front of your eye. Unlike a video camera, the energy from that stellar photon still contributes to final image as the electron that was dislodged by it will reach the screen along with the electron avalanche it sets off.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think at that price I will wait until they hit the secondhand market. This has got to be something that comes down in price though. I remember the the first digital watches 4 red numbers 160 quid in 1973, three years on they were giving them away in petrol stations.

Alan

Archived