Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on a big upgrade for me.

Hey,

So since the addiction started late last year, I have gone from a 200P dob to see how I enjoyed the hobby, to an ED80 on an NEQ6 pro, with an 1100D and a ton of other goodies. I'm having a great time at the moment learning my way through imaging, but there is a good chance I will have some cash free up soon and am keen to spend it on a scope upgrade.

When I bought my ED80 a month or so ago, I had no idea this money would become available and so at the time decided it was probably the best way to spend money in the pursuit of imaging. However now I have the money, I would like a purchase which will provide me both a significant upgrade in imaging, but also in observing quality.

The amount I will have is about £1,000 and from looking around, the C9.25 seems like a pretty decent buy. Can anyone confirm that would provide an increase in observing and imaging quality worth this financial outlay? If not, how would you spend the money to best get the largest improvements in imaging and observing?

It all depends what you want to image. An ED80 is an oddity in that it is almost a preferred choice for wide angle DSO capture given its good speed (wth focal reducers and field flatteners - FR/FF) at entry level price point.

A C9.25 would be a fantastic intstrument for planetary photography, but the ED80 would destroy it on DSO's (i think)

I forgot to mention that imaging DSO is my main interest if I had to pick one. However I love planetary observing and imaging with my SPC900 too. It'd really have to be a great all round performer.

It all depends what you want to image. An ED80 is an oddity in that it is almost a preferred choice for wide angle DSO capture given its good speed (wth focal reducers and field flatteners - FR/FF) at entry level price point.

A C9.25 would be a fantastic intstrument for planetary photography, but the ED80 would destroy it on DSO's (i think)

Does that include fainter objects such as galaxies? I had imagined that something larger like a c9.25 would provide more detail here,

I doubt it, I'm afraid :( It's too slow at f10. But TBH a camera upgrade would do you better. I was amazed how much more sensitive the Atik 314L+ CCD camera was when I got one! You need fast imaging systems in this country with our dreadful weather.

As for a scope upgrade, I've just got a MN190 but not had a chance to use it yet. Much better bet for DSO imaging at f5.3 and 1000mm FL. You could add a Barlow for planetary I guess.

For imaging I would look at a 200PDS (or if you have the space the 250PDS or 300PDS) and a coma corrector. That would leave you change to put towards guiding kit. I have also heard good things about the Explorer-190MN Maksutov-Newtonian.

Archived