Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DMK41 questions

allcart

I have shot a few avi's today and it has raised a few questions.

Why, when I have set it to capture all the images, do I have hundreds of black frames?

Why, when I have set to capture at 1/1000sec does it only capture at 2 or 3 frames a sec instead of lots more?

Why, does it say poor quality.100% at the bottom of the pic, when I can see detail in it.?

Is there anyway to manually delete bad frames from an AVI before aligning and stacking?

Why, after aligning, do I get a black screen with no pic?

All help, insights and wisdom appreciated..

Allan,

Which capture software are you using?

ICC 2.2 allows you to set the type of AVI (Y800 ) the gain (around 250) and the exposure say 1/000 as well as the frame rate 60/ sec etc.

Do you see an image on the screen before capture?

Registax will allow you to manually delete frames before stacking.

Yes, I'm using ICC software that came with the DMK. I keep an eye on the frame rate when I capture and stop after 2 or 3 minutes. The frame rate sometimes ticks by at as little as 1 per second. In bright sunshine I expected more.

Strangely, when I checked the AVI's in Registax 6, some of the files have 2000+ frames, but the majority of them are black.

I have been focusing the best I can with the exposure and gain set so that I can see a decent pic, but then I turn them down again to get the capture. I have been keeping a low gain and exposures of around 1/1000 but i cannot adjust the frame rate. I think the DMK41 will only do 15fps.

I can see the image on screen as I capture and I have been keeping the histogram at around halfway.

I am finding focusing to be a very frustrating experience. I am not used to looking at fuzzy pics on a laptop. I like to see detail, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I will try some more today.

Allan,

Yes the max rate for the DMK41 is 15 frames/ sec.

I don't know why you're getting the black frames...

Why do you change the settings after viewing the image on the screen? I just get the "best" focus I can with as bright an image as I can on the screen and then hit the record button.

I have been turning down the exposure a bit so as not to overexpose the images. I try to keep the peek of the histogram at around the 127 (halfway) mark. Maybe I need a bit more.

The laptop is powered from the mains adapter, and the camera is the only thing plugged into it.

I will keep testing as and when the sun comes out to play.

Archived