Narrowband

Stellarium problem

Hi

Just managed to connect my HEQ5 to my laptop. It's working with the ASCOM software - slewing etc. - but Stellarium doesn't seem to want to play.

When I try to connect the status in the Stellarium program remains as "connecting".

I have configured Stellarium to use external software. There is a Hitecastro USB EQ Direct Interface unit between the mount and the laptop's USB port.

My assumpion is that the Stellarium software needs to communicate with the ASCOM software. I may be wrong.

I am running WIndows 7.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ed

Jim

Haven't tried that yet, but will give it a go. Might have to wait a while until I can get a direct cable connection. I don't have a USB cable that will connect to the mount, only to the Hitecastro.

I thought that as the mount was responding to one program it might have been an internal software issue.

Ed

I have say that I have not used anything to slew the mount except Stellarium thru a USB/Serial cable so can only do a problem solving with that. Am sure there are a few people who are using the Hitecastro and will know better than myself how to solve your problem, so where are they :).

Jim

Jim

I've given up on Stellarium. Downloaded Cartes Du Ciel instead. It has a more comprehensive user interface and allowed me to connect to ASCOM easily enough.

Working fine now - just waiting for a clear night to try find all those objects that have eluded me this past few months....

Cheers

Ed

Ed,

I use StellariumScope. This communicates with Stellarium & ASCOM to get the two working together nicely. To configure Stellarium, you just have to hit the "Update Stellarium Configuration" button in StellariumScope and you're away!

As with Shibby,

You need to ensure that the telescope control plug in is on and loaded at start up from the configuration window. Then all you need to do is ensure that the com ports used are the same for the mount and as in Stellarium. Used to work a treat on my Lx.

Damian, Lewis

Thanks for that. I did start reading about StellariumScope. Might have a look at that later, but I'll have a go with the current setup up for now.

It's the first time I've managed to get the HEQ5 to operate in GOTO mode so I'll try the new program for a few sessions.

Cheers

Ed

Archived