Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Visit to Sir Patrick - my impressions

steppenwolf

I have just got back from the evening with Sir Patrick, who typically prefers to be called just 'Patrick'!

What a great evening it was too - unfortunately the skies didn't play ball and it rained so we were not able to view through the great 15" F10 Reflector but we did get to see it and handle it as the enclosed pictures show. It would have been the icing on the cake to have viewed the heavens through the 'scope but this was not to be, however, this meant we had more time to spend with Sir Patrick in his study... and what a study! Sir Patrick's room is full of awards, books, photographs and items of astronomical interest but the main 'exhibit' is Sir Patrick himself who is modest, friendly and incredibly funny with a great wit and an even better memory. Facts and figures, as well as numerous anecdotes about a huge range of subjects were summoned up instantly and usually with a wry and captivating smile. This man is great company!

In addition to answering many questions on a wide range of topics (and in typical Sir Patrick style, some of his answers were wonderfully forthright), we were also treated to a look at his observing logs which were a fascinating insight into his own astronomical research, sadly curtailed through ill health in recent years.

Sir Patrick laid on a buffet for us which was very generous indeed and helped make for a very relaxing and enjoyable evening which I will remember for a long time to come. If you believe, as I do, that Sir Patrick is a 'celebrity' you could only wish that he could teach many other 'celebrities' how to act in front of others!

A great evening, great company, great location and good food - same time next Sunday, Patrick?

patrick_reflector.jpg

patrick_reflector_2.jpg

Looks like you all had a memorable evening.

Funnily enough, I was just down the road visiting my brother who lives at Felpham. We were looking at the lifetboat station at Selsey through the bins (mainly because we'd windsurfed there and back one mad evening...)

It's nice to think that such a great man can be so welcoming.

I love the pictures!

Nice one

Hugh

• 1 month later...

Archived