SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Gear :-)

ilove1995

Finally bit the bullet and upgraded my rig to a used eq3/2 mount along with a brand new Skywatcher Skymax 127 mak.

Really pleased with the setup as it has both RA & DEC motors along with Polar scope and legs from an HEQ5 so it's really solid (thanks stan26). Forecast looks promising for tonight so hopefully I may get to have a go at imaging Saturn!

post-26155-0-34925300-1365241510_thumb.j

Al

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must admit Gary I had a quick look at the picture you put up of your setup and noticed you were only using one weight. I'll give that a try as I'm still playing around with trying to get the balance right.

One slight gripe about the 127. Do you have the same problem with the cap not fitting properly at the eyepiece end? Mine keeps falling off. Apart from that I'm really happy with the mak, it feels more of a solid construction than the 4se.

I've always got the diagonal / ep in place so not applicable.

As for the weight mine was 2h as yours and only came with one, it has to go as far up the bar as possible to balance so maybe mine is heavier, difficult to tell from the pictures.

I thought it would be best anyway to use as little weight as possible to balance it due to the pants bendy altitude bolts :D

I've always got the diagonal / ep in place so not applicable.

As for the weight mine was 2h as yours and only came with one, it has to go as far up the bar as possible to balance so maybe mine is heavier, difficult to tell from the pictures.

I thought it would be best anyway to use as little weight as possible to balance it due to the pants bendy altitude bolts :D

The bendy altitude bolts on mine were already replaced with stronger one's. Lots of mods done on this setup, very happy with it.

looks like a nice setup. must admit i will probably head down the Mak route next. would be good to actually see on though! when is the next schedule meet.....either that or a social evening perhaps?

I'm loving the EQ3 & mak 127 and not missing the 4se at all (in fact I'm planning on selling the Nexstar). I used it last night to image the moon and the motors kept it centred with very little movement. I can tell the tracking is better because I'm now able to process tiffs in registax 6 with virtually no ghosting. On the 4se I couldn't do that and had to rely on bmp files which made the image softer.

The mount is the best second hand purchase I've made for a long time. I recon I'll always keep the 127 mak even if I decide to upgrade.

Nice one ! Got my EQ5 second hand, admit it was a bit scary spending so much on a used lump nut well pleased... I think it tracks easier than the 4se as it only needs one of the motors most of the time if its roughly polar aligned. Glad you pleased with it

Archived