Narrowband

Hello from WV

WVDAVE

Hi, my name is Dave and I live in the beautiful mountains of WV. There are two reasons I joined the forum, Reason 1 is the most important, my seven year old son Andrew. Andrew is a very bright and curious boy, that has ADHD and some learning disabilities. Even with these obstacles he excels in science, social studies and has a great passion for the sun and night sky. Reason 2 is that Andrew always has question about these things and I don't know the answers that he seeks or needs. Plus I think it would be great to learn, explore and experience the wonders of space with him. Never to late for an old dog to learn. So, here I am with a purpose and a whole lot of questions on equipment, learning materials and direction. Thanks for reading my rant.

Welcome to SGL, Dave!

You and Andrew might enjoy 'The Stars: A New Way to See Them' by H. A. Rey - here's a link

http://www.amazon.com/The-Stars-H-A-Rey/dp/0547132808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365170560&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Stars%3A+A+New+Way+to+See+Them#_

We drove through WV a few years ago. Still have beautiful pictures to prove it!

Baseball fan?

Dana

Edit: to show Amazon .com link for the USA

Welcome Dave and Hi to Andrew, This site is very friendly and helpful, full of

very knowledgeable people who will be pleased to give you lots of advice,

just ask, someone will know the answer, I have learnt so much myself in quite

a short time, just post a question in the relevant forum.

If you have not downloaded Stellarium yet here's a link http://www.stellarium.org/

it's a great tool to help you around the night sky, and it's free.

Good Luck.

Welcome to the forum Dave. I shared a lot of 'learning experiences' with my son when he was younger (he's now 26 and over 6 foot, so those days are gone!), and it's given me lots of happy memories. Good luck to the two of you.

I'm also a complete beginner, but my daughter bought me a copy of 'Astronomy for Dummies', which I've found very informative. It's useful to me here in Europe, but as it's very much written from a North American viewpoint it should be even better for you.

Alan

Archived