sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

I found M108 by accident after looking for the owl nebula

A few of us were out last night with central midland stargazers and one of the guys got the owl nebula in view. I decided that I was going to try and find it manually and was somewhat perplexed to find an elongated galaxy instead. Turned out to be M108 which I was really chuffed about finding as I didn't even intend to. What was even nicer was the fact that when I found the owl nebula I was able to get both in the same view using my 25mm EP. I found a total of 6 new messier objects last night and I also managed to spot NGC3628 for the first time in the same view as the other 2 of the leo triple. M108 was the best acheivement of the night though as I didn't actually mean to find it :grin:

• Like 1

I have also found some nice objects by accident. The latest been a nice open cluster near perseus,

a wide colour double near gemini, and a lovely orange/red star in ursa major. Its an added bonus

when you stumble upon a nice object by accident. When sweeping the skys i have also noticed alot of double stars.

Paul.

Just found M108 and M97, both in FOV of my 26mm, thanks for pointing them out. Went back to M81 and M82 again and was surprised to see how bright they were since I saw them a couple of months ago. Tried for M109 but I'm afraid to say the cold got the better of me, I'll have to try again tomorrow. It's really nice to get out there and get a result :smiley:

I remember you finding it lol. I was pretty chuffed with finding M51 & M81,M82 too & all 3 were looking pretty good on that night.

• Like 1

I remember you finding it lol. I was pretty chuffed with finding M51 & M81,M82 too & all 3 were looking pretty good on that night.

We did good tich! :smiley: It was good to find them manually even if we did look through other people's telrads to see where their scope was pointing. Still, I don't suppose it's any different to using telrad maps. Thanks for letting me use your 2" ep too, I have to say that I was pretty amazed at how much more they allow you to see. Definitely going to have to get me one (some) of those! :grin:

We did good tich! :smiley: It was good to find them manually even if we did look through other people's telrads to see where their scope was pointing. Still, I don't suppose it's any different to using telrad maps. Thanks for letting me use your 2" ep too, I have to say that I was pretty amazed at how much more they allow you to see. Definitely going to have to get me one (some) of those! :grin:

Hopefully we will have another observing session again soon & you're more than welcome to borrow an eyepiece or 2. I have downloaded some Telrad maps so I'm going to print some off for next time.