32mm eyepiece... Baader hyperion confusion

Andy_E

Ok, so as not to clog up a similar post with irrelevant questions I've started a new thread. I'm currently in the market for a 32mm (or so) eyepiece for a 1200mm f8 dob. So far I've considered the SW panaview 32mm, Televue 32mm plossl (love the idea of a televue but not overly keen on the 50 deg afov at this price range). However, I am a little confused about the Baader hyperion range... am I correct in thinking that by removing the 1.25" section from the 21mm I am effectively left with a 32mm 2" eyepiece? if so, this becomes quite an attractive eyepiece as I have neither a 21 or 32mm eyepiece in my arsenal. Budget (unfortunately) is a serious factor, and I have no intention of upgrading telescope in the near future (weirdly, I quite enjoy the challenge that moderate equipment poses!). Any thought/advice would be great!

It is / was commonly held that the quality of the Hyperion, without the nose-piece "Smyth" lens was not that great. At a pinch, fine, but a native long focus eyepiece would usually be better. The best performer of the bunch, in this mode, was the 21mm. But that is of slightly different design to the rest... More like a Barlowed eyepiece? Under the constraints of a limited budget, NO harm in trying for yourself though! ;)

As a tip: If you are lucky enough to get more than one Hyperion, try not to shuffle the nose-pieces around. :p

(Some of them share lens designs / properties, but some [most likely] don't)

Thanks for the information Dirksteele & Macavity, very useful. I have the 13mm Baader Hyperion, which I have used more than the other eyepieces that I have, just use a Bresser 32mm to find the object first.

I have also bought a 5mm Baader Hyperion which arrived today, (now clouded over) so when I get out with my kit again I wiil put a write up on here.

Just bear in mind that the Baader Hyperion is a heavy eyepiece & may cause balancing problems with some scopes.

Thanks for the replies guys. Glad to have cleared the hyperion mystery (after years of thinking 'I know what I'm talking about' it's amazing how often things can still stump you!). looks like a case of trying the eyepieces out and moving from there... Cheers, Andy.

If you go for a 2" EP, why not consider something even wider, like a 38 or a 40mm? That should give some seriously good views at 1200 mm focal length (a 40mm gives 30x, and 2.67 deg true FOV). I gather the SW Aeros are clones of the TMB Paragon 40mm I used to have. That was excellent (certainly down to F/6), but ultimately replaced by a Nagler 31mm.

Archived