Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explore Scientific Eyepieces for Orion XT8

Dan Watts

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apologies for restating this thread up again but I have finally got round to getting the money together to get my Explore Scientific 82° and i will be def buying the 11mm but want to get a higher mag as well...I am really torn between the 8.8 and 6.7.

Realistically, is the 6.7mm going to be a bit too powerful (especially when I barlow it @ x2.25) for my scope being 8" 1200mm focal length?

Thanks again everyone.

Dan

Unbarlowed the 6.7mm gives 179x which is a very useful and usable magnification in an 8" scope. Barlowed 2.25x gets 403x though which will barely ever be usable really.

Useful higher power magnifications in an 8" dob would be something like 180x, 200x, 220x, 250x or thereabouts. You may find something approaching 300x useful too but above that, most often not.

That's interesting to read...I used to have the Baader Zoom 8-24.

I used the Baader Barlow x2.25 to accompany it (which I still use) and found barlowing and going all the way to 8mm did start getting a little hairy!

I am thinking the 8.8 might be a bit more manageable un-barlowed and barlowed.

Thanks John.

Apologies for restating this thread up again but I have finally got round to getting the money together to get my Explore Scientific 82° and i will be def buying the 11mm but want to get a higher mag as well...I am really torn between the 8.8 and 6.7.

Realistically, is the 6.7mm going to be a bit too powerful (especially when I barlow it @ x2.25) for my scope being 8" 1200mm focal length?

Thanks again everyone.

Dan

There's an 11mm in the classifieds at the minute Dan.

I would def be getting a few of them but in dribs and drabs as I can't afford them all just yet...will def keep an eye on the 2nd hand market ;)

There's an 11mm in the classifieds at the minute Dan.

Thank u for the heads up Damo!! I have just seen this as I've been away with the other half...I've had a look and it isn't there now which is a [removed word] but will def keep an eye out! Thank u for letting me know though ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I took the dive...bought from the good ole US of A.

I Used Agenastro in the end - Bought the 6.7mm, 11mm and 24mm = £313 delivered on the quickest priority mail (5-10) days.

You cannot fault that price, I worked out with shipping from Europe i'd be be easily looking at £500! I know might hit some customs charges but I can live with that :) I can't believe the smaller EP's work out to £66, that's an absolute steal!

I have seen an 18mm in the classifieds, think I might complete the set with that as well...then gradually fill in the gaps over time with the other EP's in the line. Next stop a case from Maplins!!

Thank you again for all your help with this topic and I promise to lay it to rest now :p

Dan.

• 2 months later...

Finally got my Maplins case and yes, I went a bit crazy over Xmas and now have a nice little collection of 82° Explore Scientific Eyepieces :) I have yet to go outside with these new EP's as of yet, I cannot wait to give them a run!

Got other little bits in there...some filters (UHC / Moon & Neodymium), Baader x2.5 Barlow etc.

Let the fun begin ;)

Eyepiece Case

Thank you :) I have been saving for ages to get these - I did go a little crazy getting the whole bunch...oh well, it's xmas! lol.

Think i will have to hold fire on the 30mm as my scope will tip over...The 24mm is borderline when I put it in, might need to counter weight it.

Archived