Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NexStar 6/8SE collimation?

Is it true that the NexStar 6 or 8SE scopes may need regular collimating? I have a 4SE at the moment and I've never had to collimate it, but I understand that this is probably because the 4SE is a Maksutov-Cassegrain, whereas the 6 and 8SE scopes are Schmidt-Cassegrains.

Apart from the star test It's good to do a 'day-light' check too: http://www.robincasa...ges/collim.html (you can just use a simple collimation cap for it).

...just to make sure :wink:

I will have another go at that. I found the problem was that it would be easy if they were handily coloured black and blue but they all appear silver and make your eyes go funny. :eek:

How do you use a "simple collimation cap". I used one for a Newtonian -- is it the same for a SCT? I'm assuming it is the eyepiece cap with a hole in the centre.

Is it true that the NexStar 6 or 8SE scopes may need regular collimating? ...

No it's not true. Modern Chinese made Celestron SCT had improved mechancis and keeps their collimation much better than older US made model. In the 3 years I owned the C6SE, I only needed to re-collimate it twice.

Doing it with a star near the Zenith is still the best method of collimating an SCT. The primary mirror can shift when the tube is lay horizontally, which means a SCT collimated in the horizontal position can become miscollimated when it's in use.

Archived