SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

amazing what you can see with the naked eye

just this minute been outside ( 3 . 43 am ) and what do i see ursa major incredible i'm getting ready for some nice spotting in the near futre in readiness for the start of construction of my dome obsy can't wait , everything is there just waiting for me to grab with both hands and that is what i fully intend to do . Everything is there a splattering of planets a lot of messiers and a lovely dark black sky . I am really looking forward to seeing some lovely things is there anything i should be particulary aware of in the constellation of ursa major or surrounding areas can someone let me know please anyway enough of my dibbling on anyoe had any luck tonight in the liverpool st helens area as the sky is very clear and you can clearly see our milky way clear skies tonight and always jimmy

M51,M81,M82 to name just 3 beautifu things around Ursa Major, have u downloaded Stellarium yet? It a free bit of software that'll tell u everything thats up there at whatever time you want, just set your location & your away. Happy hunting.

Steve

M31 and Comet Panstarrs looked beautiful in bins, but I could not quite make them out with the naked eye from my dark sky site. If they were higher up, yes.

It was a stunningly clear night where I was and I was spoilt for choice of what to look at.

People have seen M81 naked-eye from true dark-sky sites with young well dark-adapted eyes, but that is considered a real achievement and very hard to reproduce for normal people.

With binoculars, M81/M82, M101, (M51 though it is actually in Canes Venatici), and if you have good skies and 15x70 bins you can see M92 and M108.

Don't forget to look at Mizar and Alcor!

if u use stellarium hit F4 and change the 'nebulae' setting in the 'labels and markers' section to see

lots of dso targets. also mizar , the 2nd star on the plough's handle is a double star u probably knew that though.

Archived