What battery do you use?

The question says it all really. I've found it really difficult to distinguish between leisure batteries so I'm going to find out what you all use and pick the one i like the best. It's for use with my CG-5 GOTO. Also, while we're here, what do you use to charge it up with as well? I mean you personally, not 'battery charger' :smiley:

i use a power pack ie jump starter i just re charge after using it [make sure it doesnt go red ie flat and charge once a month if not used to keep batteriy ok. if its just a wee quickie i use AA batteries [8] on my skymax 127 but as i get them free from my work thats why i use them as they only last a few hours

OK....

I've been successfully using a collection of 20Ah gel cell batteries for the past seven years. They are still as good as new!

Look for the mobility scooter/ golf buggy batteries and use a triple stage electronic charger. Astronomiser supply the necessary cable connections to the cigar plug etc.

Easier to handle than a 60Kg leisure battery!

How do you connect a jump starter to your mount? Croc clip to cig adapter then plug the standard cable in?

i have a cigarette adaptor to 12volt and the power pack has 2 cigarette lighter sockets as well as a usb socket

If you need to run any dew heaters then I found that the 20Ah capacity was limiting my observing time, so I took the plunge and bought a 100Ah leisure battery with a "plug in and forget" charger - it's never run out, even on long, cold sessions, but it does weigh more than the scope... :eek:

I have done the same as Andy above and although admittedly it is a great old lump with no bells and whistles attached, it does allow me to run a laptop, mount, dew heaters etc without a problem, even in the cold when battery performance can diminish. If you do go down this route, there are plenty of impressive wiring projects in the DIY section that will keep you busy when the clouds come in! :grin:

James

+1 more for the jump starter

I had the same battle with power choice options when I bought my scope. I decided on the cheapest portable option first (£29.99 on offer) and figured once I'd gained some experience I could switch if needed and not waste a whole load of cash.

The cold is a factor. I store mine in an old laptop bag which protects it from the cold and stops it draining too quickly. It has worked ok for all my sessions so far (up to 4 hours in the sub zero temps).

I only use it to drive the mount. The supplied cable that came with the mount it used to plug into the 12v socket on the side of the jump starter.

I use a 120ah leisure battery now because I power the mount, laptop, camera, dew heaters and powered USB hub which all together can draw about 11 amps per hour!

I bought a numax battery box and added 4 additional cigar sockets to it and it has binding posts and a charge indicator built in. Weighs about 30kg though but juice all night long!

When I was only powering the mount then the standard power tanks lasted all night but all the extra gizmos add up.

Cheers

Stuart

+1 more for the jump starter

I only use it to drive the mount. The supplied cable that came with the mount it used to plug into the 12v socket on the side of the jump starter.

I notice you have a HEQ5 Pro - I've just ordered an NEQ5 Pro which I'm guessing will come with the same bits and bobs. Is the supplied cable a 'cigarette lighter' 12v type? If so thats really handy because I'll get the same jump starter you mentioned (as it looks like it has a single cigarette lighter output)?

I notice you have a HEQ5 Pro - I've just ordered an NEQ5 Pro which I'm guessing will come with the same bits and bobs. Is the supplied cable a 'cigarette lighter' 12v type? If so thats really handy because I'll get the same jump starter you mentioned (as it looks like it has a single cigarette lighter output)?

My HEQ5 Prod can with a 12v ciggy lighter cable that plugs straight into the 12v port on the jump starters. The other end plugs into the mount.

It's worth double checking with your supplier. The other type of connect is the terminal type with leads to attach to the positive and negative terminals on a battery.

My HEQ5 Prod can with a 12v ciggy lighter cable that plugs straight into the 12v port on the jump starters. The other end plugs into the mount.

It's worth double checking with your supplier. The other type of connect is the terminal type with leads to attach to the positive and negative terminals on a battery.

It just says "Power Supply Required: 12 VDC 2Amp Tip positive" which means nothing to me so I suspect a phone call to them is in order!

Two high AH deep cycle batteries secured in a rolling worksite job box. All wires connected to telescope components go into this box (USB hub mounted in there) and a single USB comes out of it to my laptop. Battery charger, dew controller, 12V distributor and a nice 1500W full sine wave AC inverter in there. Heavy as hell but it rolls on wheels, is very reliable and keeps things tidy. Won't ever be running out of power - I can run my whole imaging setup for 4 nights without breaking a sweat.

OK....

I've been successfully using a collection of 20Ah gel cell batteries for the past seven years. They are still as good as new!

Look for the mobility scooter/ golf buggy batteries and use a triple stage electronic charger. Astronomiser supply the necessary cable connections to the cigar plug etc.

Easier to handle than a 60Kg leisure battery!

I use a 26 amp version of this, got it for £15 from local car breakers, he has a stack of them, all i use it for is power to my HEQ5 syntrek so it lasts for ages

Archived