Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

were to stay in brecon beacons

houston

Hi! I live on the outskirts of the Beacons (Abergavenny) during the week. All of the skies are dark around here, it's official!

Absolutely anywhere is good however, the further into the Beacons you go the more remote it becomes.

Personally I like Abergavenny as it is quite nice during the day with plenty of eating and boozing options if the weather is bad. My favourite spot is a mountain known as Blorenge, it is over 1500' high with a tarmac car park and excellent views in all directions, it is also only (as the crow flies) about 3 miles from Abergavenny. To drive to the top takes about 10-15 mins.

all of the surrounding villages are well served and never far from a good hilltop. My only tip is to avoid Merthyr Tydfil as it is not as well presented as Abergavenny.

But really anywhere is good. Give me a shout if you'd like any more info'.

I had to be nice... you never who you might bump into around here......

Following on from Bluewater's ban on hoodies a few years ago, the Asda in Merthyr has now banned people from entering the store in thier pyjamas! True!!

Merthyr is a S Wales Valley town with a huge and proud Industrial history behind it that with with the demize of the heavy industries in Wales has not had a great time of it in recent times in terms of employment and investment for sure. Abergavenny is a market town on the Welsh boarders - they are chalk and cheese in many respects but I don't think the less than flattering remarks do anyone any favours to be honest.

sastay is correct though if your thinking of Brecon you either need to be East towards Abergavenny which is rural or North of Brecon - away from Cardiff and the Valleys which are the major source of light pollution in these parts.

The skies in those areas are fantastic and you'll have a great time wherever you end up - good luck

Hi, stevetynant.

Working in the area in question, I am aware of the social history and the unfortunate demise of local industry, it was at one time great with world renown for its engineering amongst other things. I'm only joking, apologies if I have offended it's certainly not intentional.

It's good to know that there are fellow SGL-ers in the area

No offence taken and certainly no apologies needed sastay - having being brought up in these Valleys and been part of the Industries in them for a long time I can be overly sensitive in this respect but thats my hang up not yours - hopefully we can catch up if you make it to one of the S Wales group meets in the future - we use a car park between Blaenavon and Abergavenny (foxhunter or soemthing similar I think its called) - my mate tells me that the mountain its on is Blorenge- I wonder if its the one you are currently observing from?

No offence taken and certainly no apologies needed sastay - having being brought up in these Valleys and been part of the Industries in them for a long time I can be overly sensitive in this respect but thats my hang up not yours - hopefully we can catch up if you make it to one of the S Wales group meets in the future - we use a car park between Blaenavon and Abergavenny (foxhunter or soemthing similar I think its called) - my mate tells me that the mountain its on is Blorenge- I wonder if its the one you are currently observing from?

Hi!

Cool! no worries! Being an Englishman as I am you could always just say 30-03 anyway...

Yes this is the one. Foxhunter carpark with the two big radio masts.

How do I go about finding about future meets?

James

"...the car park has a history..." I was a bit nervous about opening up the link as you might well imagine!!!

I first found this place in the daylight (i'd cycled up to it!) and whilst getting my breath back - it took some time!! - I read the plaque and visitor information, quite interesting!

Anyway, back to the topic in question. If houston does decide to come here, you ba assured of very dark skies and a warm welcome. It's the only warm thing up there... I thinks the locals refer to it as BF!

Brecon Beacons NP has indeed got Dark Sky status. But if you head further north into Mid Wales you'll find the all important southern horizon is much darker. If you can get to the Cambraian Mountains/Elan Valley area it is in the 'Black Zone'. No Dark Sky status yet but people are working on it.

BirminghamvsWales.jpg

As to where to stay there should be plenty of rental cottages in the area.

A cheaper option might be the Elenydd Hostels (both in very dark locations)

http://www.elenydd-hostels.co.uk/

If you're on a really tight budget I know of a few free mountain bothies in the area but you would have walk in and there's no electric!

Other links:

http://www.elanvalley.org.uk/where-to-stay/

http://www.elanvalley.org.uk/where-to-stay/other-accommodation-nearby/

I notice also that the Elan Valley Trust are starting to organise a few 'astro' events:

http://www.elanvalley.org.uk/events/oct/

If fancy a Mid Wales B&B please PM me.

I have to say if I was heading to Wales for a star watching weekend it would be into mid Wales I would be heading rather than further East - the further North of Brecon the better really but I've no experience of observing nearer Abergavenny but if sastay is coming to the site we use in Beanavon, although a good site, the skies in Mid Wales are better by some degree especially to the horizon.

Sastay - if you check out the S Wales group on the Community Section you will see Matt posting details of when the group meets are held there - I'm suprised we haven't already bumped into you up there on a Saturday night although having said that since January this year we've had an 80% cancellation rate due to the weather - last Saturday was a fantasic clear night but the roads were just too dangerous apparantly - Matt said there was snow and ice everywhere.

Archived